Isn't it great that the weather is getting better! Just awesome to be running outside on a regular basis. Minus today - freakin snow?! What's up with that!! I hoping that this will be mother nature's last crap fest.
Thanks for all the well wishers on my first half marathon. It was a blast and I can't wait until the end of April (25th) for my 2nd half - the Nashville Marathon . I didn't anticipate just how sore I was going to get after the race. I took a couple days off afterwards and started back with an easy 2 miler. Last week, I decreased my mileage to about 2/3 of total to recover and left out my weekend long run. This weekend I'll run 13 or 14 miles for my long run if my ribs can handle it.(I'll get to that..)
I managed to log over 100 miles last month. It was my first since last December and I'm on goal so far to hit 1000 miles for the year. Of course it is still early and many, many miles to go before I get there. Maybe I can keep the injury bug away and .. oops too late! I broke my ribs again!! This is starting to drive me crazy!! This is #3 and almost #4 in the past 15 months. The first was last June , the second was last August and the almost # 3 . Yesterday I was lifting a big tub into place during a bathroom remodel and POP! Instant pain! Today it has been difficult to move my upper body. Gratefully it wasn't any part of my legs. phew.. Does running require breathing? Maybe I don't have to breathe to run? hmmmm...
As of today I am officially 39 ....... and holding... Oh crap, one more year and the dreaded 4-------0. This is the last year that I'm telling the truth about my age. ;)
I signed up for a sprint Tri in June. When the ribs heal, it'll be time to hit the pool. I did ask for a new bike for the BD - just need to help picking one out. Any suggestions on a good bike? - not too expensive..
Haven't been blogging much due to "my world," but I still read and comment. Congrats to all of you runners that have knocked out the early races. That's why we love Spring!
For you people on facebook feel free to add me, we have a good running group on there and I seem to update that a little more often than on this blog. If not, no harm done. If you add me then you won't think that I'm stalking you.. ;)
David Sandstrom
3 years ago
23 Comments:
You broke your ribs that many times. Geesh!! Stop lifting heavy objects or something!
Good luck with the County Music Half. I am running in it to. It is the first time i have run this race but I hear it is awesome. Make sure you say hello when you pass me.
Broke your ribs lifting a bathtub? Sounds like something that would happen to me...
Happy Birthday!! Yikes on the ribs, hope you're feeling better soon! I wanted to do a sprint tri this year too, not sure if it'll happen yet though :) Enjoy your day!
Happy Birthday - and don't be afraid to cross over to the dark side of 40 next year. It's not so bad LOL!
My goodness bro!!! You better stop lifting heavy things....Are you OK??
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVE!!! WOO!!!!
Um, OUCH!! Stop popping your ribcage open already - deep breaths are kinda nice dontcha think?
Two things stopping me from doing a sprint tri: 1- I can't swim in open water, 2- I have a fat tire mountain bike that I don't feel like upgrading. I like training for them though :)
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your ribs breaking. What do you think is causing the repeated injury? I can only imagine how much that would hurt while running. Just curious- does running put any strain on ribs at all from the pressure?
I am going to add you on FB! Yay for facebook stalking groups. heh.
Oh and I meant to say a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You will be 39 the rest of your life, right?
OUCH and happy belated.
Im so ahead of you.
90 days and Im the big 40.
Ill save you a spot there :)
Nice run, buddy. But what's up with those ribs? Did you fall on the tub? No comprendo. Well, heal up and get back at it.
FYI-when I ran my 10-miler I hurt for 3 days! Takes a while to get over that, doesn't it?
I hope you had a wonderful birthday! Guess you are going to be 39 for a few years now.
Great job with all the running. 100 miles last month is great.
Hope you had a great birthday, and Hope your ribs heal quickly!
And damn you guys are young!!!
1 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
2 - Um....multiple rib-breaking does not sound pleasant. :( Take care of yourself!!
3 - You might check craigslist for a bike. My husband got a decent mountain bike for just $50. He spent another $50 to get it tuned up, but that's still a good deal. But you have to JUMP on them cuz they go fast. You could get away with a good mountain bike for a tri. Road bikes and tri bikes are sooooo much more expensive. I'm a fan of Specialized. Most people on my tri team have Treks. Just a matter of personal preference.
4 - Thanks for your advice on my blog. I'm always looking to more experienced runners for help, so thank you!! :)
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
I'd love a sweet bike for my birthday. Excellent score.
Get well soon.
GAH! MORE broken ribs?? That sucks man. I haven't ever done it, but I know that it makes it really painful to breath. Which, you know - you kinda need to do a few times a minute ...... at least.
Consider yourself added on Facebook. I can't look at it here at work, but I'll for sure do it when I get to the hotel!
Good luck with the rubs & training for the next 1/2!
Oh and Happy B-day.
Turning 40 isn't so bad, you do get a new age group to run in..
Happy Birthday dude !! Oh man... you better not lift anything heavy no more, you hear me. I just had to cringe my eyes when you broke your ribs.
I am sorry that I couldn't be of any help when it comes to bike. I know nothing about bikes except for running shoes, that is my only expertise.
Rest well !!!
Happy Birthday, you young buck!
I just requested you on FB. I <3 having runner buddies on there.
Take it easy on those ribs, dude!
I can't WAIT to hear about Nashville! I wish I could be there too! I have this on my list for my spring half marathon NEXT year though so I hope you will do it again! By that time, I may actually be able to run WITH you, not behind you ha ha ha....
So any big '40 year old' goals?
You will be a grown up now you know...and a lot smarter too - like you won't go lifting heavy bathtubs and such with your history of weak ribs. So that's kinda cool!
Take it easy!
Happy Birthday-you're still practically a child-just wait til you hit the big 5-0!
oops I deleted a comment- didn't mean too..
sry
Post a Comment