Monday, December 1, 2008

Being honest with myself

It seems that everyones back to work after the extended Thanksgiving holiday. I love the holidays, but it gets me out of my groove. Sleep gets messed up, healthy eating gets messed up, exercising gets messed up, and laziness sets in. Not to mention its getting colder, the weather seems gloomy more times than not. Just makes you want to jump into bed, "pig out," and watch movies all day. Does anyone else feel that way?
I don't have any races on my schedule unto next year. In fact, I'm sure not too many are racing until early January, Feb or March. I need to try to keep logging miles Dec through February to keep in shape. Maybe I need to sign up for something to keep me motivated. Yeah that's the ticket! :) Any of you runners racing before the new year?
My blog is about running and my weightloss journey, but more about my weightloss. I sometimes forget that. Running is my passion, but weightloss is my battle.
I realize that I am going to have to lose alot more weight in order to get faster. You all can see by my pictures in other posts that I am not a small guy. I look more like an offensive lineman than a runner. In fact, I have yet to see anyone bigger than me at any of my races. Sometimes it gets me down, then other times while I'm running I think ,"At least I'm trying." When I was running in my 8K and 15K races this past week, it felt great to know I was passing people fairly easy, but somewhere deep inside I was thinking that I was being laughed at when I passed people. Many of you wouldn't understand what I am talking about, but a few will.
We live in a world where our appearance is everything. Sorry for all this jib-jab, but I would still be blogging this even if noone was listening. It's my personal counseling- it beats paying for a shrink.
One of these days I just want to be the smaller guy.
I've been holding this back partly due to my "shyness,"(yes believe it or not, but I am) embarrassment (for getting here in the first place), and the many years of being overweight and sadly scarring that I have endured (Holy crap Dave this is really deep), and finally because I have a long way still to go on my journey. I read many weightloss blogs, and when I say I feel your pain I mean it!
Without further ado : Here is what I have been holding back..

There is a big part of me that wants to hide behind the coach. I look at these pictures and I cringe!!!! That is me at 350+. Wow! Even I'm shocked. I can't find many pictures of me back then. Frankly because I would hide when photos were taken.
50lb down!
80lb down!
You've seen my recent pictures. Still got lots to go, but I'm getting there.
100 lb down!
OOH...
AHH..
I took those last 2 after my run tonight, so maybe I'll lighten up.
So there it is, all of me. I think I just saved myself $500 for this therapy. haha
Peace

39 Comments:

Tina Mickelson said...

Dave you're doing a great job of keeping persective and losing the weight. Unfortunately its not a snap your fingers lose the weight kinda deal and all the hard work you are doing is showing and paying off. Look at all the progress you've made. Personally I see someone bigger than me or smaller than me run past and I'm so proud of them. I know its hard to get out there no matter what size you are and if I'm working my ass off and you're passing me... you worked hard and deserve the better time. You rock!

That will be $250 (half price day ya know). I'll bill you... lol

Kristy said...

Oh honey, you're doing great. Just keep doing it..and maybe add a little spinach (hey, I gotta keep trying). You're running ALL the time..and I know you weren't doing that when you started. You inspire me to keep trying to run farther and faster. Thank you for that. And thank you for showing us who you were and are. ♥ u Davio

new*me said...

You have come so far! Inspiring!

I know how you feel. I feel so great after losing over 70 lbs but I still wish every day I would wake up and see a number under 200 on the scale. Sometimes it seems like I will never get to my goal........especially when the second half of my loss is going so slow.

I think the pictures are sooo important to remind us where we were and how far we have come......let's NOT go back to that place! Happy December to you ;)

Michelle said...

Dude you are awesome!!! And HOT!! You are! Look at all you have accomplished!!! This is a big thing and a great thing!!

Please join me in streaking!!! It will be fun and we can support each other!!! Hey, perhaps we can run naked?? YIKES!!! I mean do other stuff naked??? YIKES!!!!

Kelly said...

Dave...you could be that little voice in my head..I have lost almost 70 pounds (lots to go) and every race that I ran this past year..I felt the EXACT same way. Instead of being proud of myself for being out there, I beat myself up for not losing more weight and being faster. And if that isn't enough, I totally blame my injury on not losing enough weight...hmmm...your therapy session might have helped me too...cool :)

WWSuzi said...

Truly you are doing great no matter at what size you are! I'm smaller and couldn't begin to think about being able to run like you do. Hold your head high kiddo you've a lot to be proud of!!

joyRuN said...

Whoa, Dave! First off, CONGRATULATIONS on what you've accomplished so far on so many levels, between the weight loss, running, & self-discovery.

I can't really say anything to help with the inner critic - that's our personal little sh*thead that we each have to deal with on a daily basis. Just know that I think you're pretty damn awesome.

Denise said...

Dave, I'm "one of the few" who understands and I think you'd be surprised at how many people are like us. I too have battled weight issues all my life and although I'm the smallest I've ever been, I still battle with the deep scars the weight left. I felt everything you wrote and I'm glad you found this outlet. Keep up the good work! Also, I forget who's blog I found it on (it's in my blog list) but there is a challenge among bloggers for the month of December. Join it with us!!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

First, thanks for stopping by my blog! CONGRATS on your amazing journey! Pictures serve as a reminder and are a great motivator... and I share your thought on blogging as your own personal therapy, that's why I started LOL. You should be very proud of your accomplishments so far, and I have no doubt that you'll reach all of your goals :)

Progman2000 said...

You're the freaking man Dave! When I was spectating at my wife's race the day after Thanksgiving, the people I was cheering the loudest for were the ones at the back of the pack who were working the hardest (and there were some guys there who would have put your offensive lineman frame on your ass). The leaders are always impressive to watch but it's the clydesdale & clydsdame runners who are really working it - I love cheering those runners (and me and my kids stayed for the very last one). Don't ever think people are laughing at you dude - the people that matter appreciate what the hell you are doing.

A year from now you will be blogging about running a marathon - can't wait (my vote goes to the NJ Marathon).

Happy Fun Pants said...

You are doing wonderfully!

Think of all that you have done. The weight isn't the only thing that changes - our minds have to try to catch up! It's sometimes easier to shed those pounds than to shed the layers of emotions that got us to where we were.

I agree - you're hot! It's just up to you to realize it.

Good luck - and thanks for the refreshingly honest post. They're great.

Take care! :)

Lori said...

Well - you plucked some thoughts right out of my head. I have had so many of those same thoughts and feelings. It's hard not to be embarrassed about old pics, too - but never be ashamed of any part of your life.

However - you are doing great. The end goal is only one part, the journey there is how you learn the most.

Keep it up!

And I challenge you to a run this Saturday! We have a jingle jog here, and I'm doing it, 30 degrees and all (must be nuts).

Marcy said...

HOLY MOTHER!! You've mad an AMAZING transformation!! Seriously awesome Dave!

I totally know what you mean by wanting to cringe when seeing older pics of yourself. I weighed in at close to 200 after having each other kids. Not, not, not a pretty site. In fact we don't have that many pics of me during that time frame LOL

Marcy said...

Sorry I meant "of the" not "other" LOL

Pat said...

congrats. Over 100 lbs lost is great. I loved this post, since I could relate to much of it.

Not the cold weather parts, but being one of the bigger runners part.

Thanks for commenting on my blog.

Viv said...

Dave, first off congratulations on loosing so much weight! What a battle you have fought.
i totally hear you on running making you forget the battle at hand. I so could have written this post. Thanks for opening up like that some of us really needed to hear it.

Slackey said...

You've come so far- congrats! Personally, I enjoy it when I pass the much smaller girls at the gym. They might be lithe and toned and tiny, but I feel like I'm actually working... whereas they're just there to profile. :P

X-Country2 said...

Wow, what an AMAZING accomplishment! You've done great, you're doing great, and you will continue to do great in the future. Good luck!

Matt Keeling said...

OK I am just gonna say it. Holy crap i had no idea. I had looked back through the archives but maybe skipped over some stuff.

The way you inspire me reached a whole different level today!

You know I am that guy too. At 300lbs I know that I am the biggest guy out there rumblin, stumblin and bumblin to the finish line. I think your more of a linebacker than a lineman though. :-)

Just cause it cannot be said enough, I am way proud to "know" you so I can be proud of you. Do me a favor and continue to insipe me huh.

Go Tigers! Go Vols(I am moving forward to BB for you)

Tanya said...

Dude-you are the MAN! Don't think that others are judging you when they see you run. If they are themselves runners, they're probably wondering what kind of shoes you're wearing or how many miles you're doing. If they aren't runners, then who the hell cares what they think-they just don't get it! You've come so far and done so much. You should be proud.

Anonymous said...

Dave, you have done an awesome job you should be very proud of yourself. You have come a long way and are quite the inspiration! You look great!

BeachRunner said...

I have to repeat the comments of the others and praise you for your awesome transformation. You should be proud of yourself and all your hard work. You ROCK homie.

Anonymous said...

I so totally had to steal this comment:
Dude you are awesome!!! And HOT!!

and add the fact we're all happy to be in your therapy group.

can we go out afterwards for drinks??

Unknown said...

Yo Dave... you are THE MAN !!! Believe it or not, you are not alone. You are on an important mission for yourself and for the many others who are following you. You continue to inspire so many others. You have to be darn proud of yourself for doing this. It is not an easy feat. I have witnessed myself as others have been struggling. I am always in AWE when I see them trying. Believe me, you are doing phenomenal and keep it up. Can you believe that the use of blogging is one of the many tools you can use to keep your motivation going? Pretty neat !!! We are going to witness your amazing transformation this year and next year of 2009. Keep it going !!! *high five*

Emi said...

Ok first off, OH MY LORDY! Your before and after, sheesh! Amazing, amazing amazin!!!! Good job.

As for the whole appearance thing, I know what you're getting at. I go to a yoga class with all these little people (I'm a bigger girl, always have been even when I was younger) so I always feel so out of place being the biggest girl in the class, and I feel like I can see them smirk sometimes or give me weird looks when I do the advanced moves and they don't. I don't think you're just dreaming it all up, it happens, people can't believe "bigger" people can be healthier or more active than they.

Ok on another note, how did you get into running? I want to start training myself, but have no idea where to start 'cause the most I'e done is slowly jog 4k, and even that I'd stop and walk some of it.

Anyways, I'm proud of you, good job on the weight loss, keep it up, you're looking great

Anonymous said...

Wow, Dave! What an incredible accomplishment! I hope all these comments have boosted your confidence. You look amazing and Lord knows you're fit. You can meet any goal you set for yourself, you're so determined.
Keep up the awesome (and encouraging) work! You ROCK!

Marci said...

You look terrific. Thanks for such an inspiring post. Keep it up, its working and once again, you look AWESOME!

Dustie said...

First off, I typed out this LONG comment and published it ONLY to LOSE it! argh! Now to try and say it again....it's just never the same....lol!

I can relate to how you are feeling. Before I changed my lifestyle and started losing the weight, I felt completely invisible to the world. No one noticed me or cared to notice me....or at least that is how I felt. Sometimes I wander if it were more that I was hiding from the world...that I didn't want to be seen. Once I started to shed the weight and gain the confidence, I started noticing more eye contacts, more smiles, more hellos...amazing how that works. The first time I received an actual compliment I actually turned around to see if someone was behind me. Me? You're talking to me? And as far as being self conscious, in my opinion, that increases with the more awareness we focus on our bodies. We are more intune to how we look, how we are perceived, that in return we feel judged more often. I have a huge issue with wearing shorts...for that very reason. I have this thing in my head that if I pass anyone or run in front of anyone, they will be looking at the back of my legs and talking smack about me. ugh. In reality, why do I even care? If someone is that shallow...does there opinion even really matter in the first place? no. I have a couple so called friends that are those types of people...and I can't stand it...in fact I try to find a way to lose touch with them, but like a bad habit they keep coming around!

You have come so far. Be proud of what you have accomplished. Do not feel bad looking at those before shots....they were you and serve as an example of the lifestyle you never want to return to- but don't lose site that that was still you. Many times I have said the girl I was before is dead - long gone...but then again...that's not fair....because that WAS me regardless.

This time of year is full of temptation - wonderful, yummy foods, warm cozy couches. It's ok if we slack here and there. The difference is knowing that we will never go back to our beginning weights. We have changed from the inside out and have an inner "itch" that makes us need healthiness - and if we slack too long....we feel it! Remember where you started and more importantly focus on how far you have come. Cheers to you and your journey. Cheers to you, me and all others who have changed their lives....cheers to all those who will follow in our footsteps or imprint their own. Life is good. Smile!

COTY said...

Amazing ! Your hard work and effort shows. You look great!

Laurel said...

Wow Dave! You have come a long way and should be so proud of everything you are doing not only to lose weight, but in how much healthier you are. You are setting a a great example for your kids.

And don't worry about what people think when you're running. I know I am always more inspired by seeing people that don't fit into the "athletic" model of what a runner should be than actual fit athletes. I know how much harder it is for "regular people" to get out there and run everyday.

I get you on cringing at the old pictures. A friend of mine posted an old picture of me from high school on Facebook and I was in awe of how much heavier I was. I almost deleted it, but in a weird way it inspires me to see it up there. I know how far I have come and am proud.

You should be too :)

42at42 said...

SuperDave you are super. My journey has many of the same parallels as yours. I was laziness and a lack of education on how to dig out of the mess we ate ourselves into. Now that we have learned what to do we have to try to focus ourselves on doing it. This past month has been a real struggle and I still haven't got myself totally back on track. I will get there. I don't give a damn if others are laughing, they don't know why I am doing what I am doing. You never know that skinny person next to you might be one of us. a "big loser". Keep on fighting the fight. We are winning.

Cyndi said...

Dave, you are a Rock.Star. Thank you for putting yourself out there like this, because it helps not only yourself, but others too! Myself included!

This is a normal part of this journey we are on....despite all our efforts and amazing progress, we have moments of fear (of returning to the old) and doubt (we'll never get to where we want to be). We have moments when our physical selves transform quicker than our emotional selves (we still feel like the 'fat' person).

It's an important and necessary part of this journey - to be aware of these thoughts and address them. It's better than burying them with food, right?

I have no doubt whatsoever that you will get to the place you want to be! Think of the wonderful example you are setting for your boys too! I think about my kids all the time when I have these moments of doubt in myself.

You look amazing! Don't take your progress for granted ~ I know there is a lot more fight in you and you WILL succeed.

Steven Cohen said...

Dude, are you feeling the love yet? I couldn't even read all these comments, because there are too many for me! Congratulations, and keep up the good work! And if you start to plateau at some level, shake it up and change the routine. I'm there now, and need to get into a strength routine on off days. Rock on, man!

Lori said...

And BTW - I also wanted to let you know that I nominated your blog for a Marie Antoinette award, real blogs by real people.

You can take a peek here
http://findingradiance.blogspot.com/2008/12/marie-antoinette-award.html

Donnalouise said...

Dave - you're one handsome sexy guy at +350 or now! It's about being healthier, not being ashamed. And you are doing that!!! I'm jealous of you - I wise I could run, or jog, or maybe even just trot for more than 2 minutes without doubling over in pain. Thanks for sharing the photos and the reality that you are doing it!

Anonymous said...

Dave, what a success story you have! The progress pics are so amazing.

What you say about running and instead of being proud of being out there, having this inner critic, that happens to me too.

I like the idea of running being a passion and weight loss being the battle.

Girl In Motion said...

Wowwie Zowie! Can't believe how much weight you've lost. That is incredible. Thank you for sharing the photos, it's important for people to see where you came from and what you've accomplished. Hugely inspiring for anyone that ever wanted to do anything and stick with it. You go, Dave!

OhSheGlows said...

I am truly amazed at how much you have accomplished. You should feel very proud of yourself for coming this far. The sky is the limit now, right??

Angela
www.ohsheglows.com

SeaShore said...

I've been thinking lately how frustrating it is to lose weight and still be considered overweight. One of my goals is not to be the fat one in any given situation: at work, in the family, at practise, etc.

You have done an amazing job as your pictures and running attest to!

I'm sure when you pass people they're thinking the same thing you are, "I want to get faster!"