Good post Lily!
I hope you are all having a good day and for some an extended weekend. The sun has peaked it's eyes out today. Rain all last week, sun today, and rain the rest of the week. ughhh But today IS a glorious day! IMHO...
I read an interesting article in Running Times that long runs should not take up more than 50% of total mileage for the week. After looking over a few other training plans for various distances(10K, half, full) it seems that all have the same info.
- 6-10 mile LR should be running 12-20 miles/week
- Half marathon 13-14 mile LR should be running 27-30 miles/week.
- Full marathon 15-20 mile LR should be running 35-45 miles/week
- Most plans are 4-5 days of running.
With only 2 weeks before the Nashville Half I needed to get in another 13+ miles before my taper. Todays goal was 14 miles with the last 3 of those @ half marathon pace. I was cruising until the 11 mile mark then my body said, "I quit!" Needless to say that the last 3 miles were hard. I finished 13.61 miles in 2hrs 29mins 35seconds.(10:59 pace.) So much for 1/2 m pace, but darn I tried! The last mile was complete feet shuffling. I normally feel accomplished after a long run, but my confidence in hitting my goal of 2:15 for Nashville has hit the floor. Don't get me wrong - I'm happy that I ran over 13 miles, but I'm drained now. My 2:23 a couple weeks ago left me feeling like I had lots left in the tank. I wish I had another week to get in a 13+ miler. Next week is a taper week and no long run. We'll see...
This long run may not have gone like I wanted it too, but Tuesdays tempo run went great! It was the best I have run in terms of mid distance and pace.
It was run on the treadmill(rain!) at the gym. I had planned on running intervals/speedwork that day. I was 4.5 miles in and just about to cooldown when an instructor walked into the cardio theater area and started to yell "Cmon class kick it up a notch!" Class? Am I in a class??! I was too embarrased to walk out so I kept going. After being yelled at a few more times and about to pass out , the class ended. After all said and done, I completed 8.5 miles with 8 miles @ 9:20 pace then cooldown. Holy mutha was that a workout! It just goes to show you that when a cute little girl walks into a room and her head spins around and she spews out words from satan that you'll do anything that she says. I love you Satan girl. I'll see you again on Tuesday..
Last thing.
I finally have my first giveaway contest and it is for anyone to join. "They" just came in yesterday by UPS. I need to unwrap and take a couple pics before I post. I'll try to get a post up tomorrow. Haha I'm not telling...
15 Comments:
You can do it. Not all long runs are going to be great, that's why we do them. Keep your confidence high, you'll have a great half marathon.
LMAO at the satan girl :) Happy Easter!
Well, shoot - you should have Satan girl follow you around on a bike for your long runs! Problem solved.
Seriously though - I wasn't very happy with my last long run either. I think we'll be just fine :)
Everyone has runs that just plain suck! I had one today too!
You did it, and you'll be fine come race day.
Im not enough of a runnersrunner to comment on the hard run.
Im still at the place where to run is to face some major suckage---but Im still getting out there :)
Exciting about the give!
Every run is different, especially if you are slogging it out on the dreadmill.
Good job getting it done, you would have done it even if Satan Girl wasn't there prodding you with her devils pitchfork!!
I think we all have a not so great run right before taper just to humble us. Stay confident, the bad runs make us stronger and after the rest of taper time, you'll be ready to run and do great!
Hilarious!! I would so do something like that!! Be in a class and not even know it...too funny! One thing I learned with my last half marathon...I felt under trained...was not consistent with my training at all...but I did better....use your taper time to rest and recharge and that 2:15 is still a possibility!
You are such a freekin tease!! Damn you! ;-)
Boys are so gullible! Anyhoo....I think that you are being too hard on yourself for your long run. Training runs are supposed to be a bit slower than race day. You will kick some butt Dave...I know you will!
The crowd and excitment will carry you on race day.
Wow awesome running Dave!!!
How do you determine your race pace and your long run pace and any pace really???
As usual I am clueless!!!
Keep on rockin' it Dave! you'll do great in the big race anyway, because you can't train the race feeling that makes you go!
Hey man, if it's any consolation, when ever I have a sucky last long run, I always have a great race! I'm beginning to think it's my body's way of keeping me from over-doing it and getting cocky. LOL! Best of luck in Nashville!
Heh...when pretty girls are around running is easy. ;)
Post a Comment