I'm writing this @ midnight, so officially it is Tuesday morning.
My blogging pal Lori over at findingradiance is eating clean this week, so I pledged the same. What were you thinking Dave? All week. So no crap for me at all, which includes no sweets or fatty foods or any other thing that my be bad for me - darn. Healthy it is. I haven't weighed myself since last Thursday with my next weigh-in on Friday. We'll see if this pays off..After running Sat and Sunday, I decided to take Monday off. I sat around the house most of the day doing NADA!! I have 6 days off in a row, don't go back until Friday(perks of the job.)By 8 PM, my skin was crawling - I had to run! Glad I did. After reading what Andrew and Tina did Sunday, I decided to push myself this run. My goal was to run a fast 5K. Again "fast" being a relative term(I always put that disclaimer in. LOL).
The temp was about 78 deg and the humidity was at 85%(muggy.) After a 1/2 mile warmup, I started at a 9min pace. Normally I would have to back off on that pace, but I felt very good. As I progressed throughout the run, I noticed my HR was mid 150's. Normally @ 9min pace , my HR is 170(my max is 188.) After 2 miles my time was 17:41, So I pushed it a little harder. My final 5 K time was 27min 54 seconds . That is exactly a 9:00 pace.
My 5K PR is 27min 52 sec. Knowing I was so close to a PR, I would've ran harder. 2 seconds! The run felt great and my HR avg'd around 160 which is even better.
After my whining session 2 weeks ago, my running has become fun again. What a difference having time off from work does. The question is, Do I take today off from running?
3 years ago
7 Comments:
Awesome effort! 2 seconds!
So happy to have found your blog! Nice run! I completely impressed. I think I need to do a better job of warming up because I find after about 1/4 mile I get into a groove, at least until that big hill. :-)
This may be a silly 'newbie' question, but how do you know that you are at a '9:00 mm' pace? Is that something your monitor tells you, or is it just that you 'feel' that based on your running experience? I am still running for time, but on Saturday I have the Week 5 20 minute run to do which on my treadmill I will be able to see obviously what my pace per mile was when I'm done. But how do you know as you start a run what you are running at the moment. (does this make sense?)
Great job! I know rest days are good, but they are so hard to make myself do!
Good job on clean eating, keep it up (I'm watching you LOL )
Dave, are you running an organized 5K soon? You'll destroy your PR if you get that close in a training run, my friend! Races are always faster than training, so keep pushing, but a rest day after a hard day is always a good idea. You'll come back refreshed. Good luck!
Thanks Andrew - have a way to go to get to your speed!
Matt, - Thanks and I am definitely impressed by your efforts. I always warmup(1 to 2 mins slower than intended run) - don't need as much in the summer(generally 0.5 to 1 mile), then gradually speed up.
Cyndi Good question. I have this wonderful thing called a Polar Watch which tracks my HR, pace, distance,lap times(mile/km), and a few other neat things.I wear a gadget tied to my shoe(pace/distance) and a "rubberband thing" around my chest for my HR. It does it all wirelessly. Cool huh? Polar 200SD
Lori I'm doing good today , so far..You?
Steve - Not running one soon. I try to run @ race pace every 4-6 weeks if I am not doing a race.By watching you kick butt every week on your runs is enough inspiration by me. I have to run almost 5 mins faster to catch up to you ;)
I've decided I am going to rest today.
Yesterday was a good day, but as you know, we all have those good and bad days in the running world.
Post a Comment