Sunday, March 1, 2009

Beautiful muck

Well guys, as long as it is "still "sick season at work, my posting habits are going to remain the same. No time or energy to blog, but lurking and visiting.
I'm sorta bummed that I only got 3 runs in this week and only 1 strength/core workout. I've been doing good to get in 4 & 2. I can't wait to "Spring forward" next week in anticipation for more daylight for early/late running. It is a chore to zoom home from work then change clothes to look presentable to stand around and wait for an open treadmill at the gym. That bites! Not much choice though...
3 runs: 19.84 miles

  • 3.04 miles in 29:32 (9:42 pace) Easy
  • 4.65 miles in 44:55 (9:39 pace) Intervals 5 x 800 @ 8:45
  • 12.15 miles in 02:12:53 (10:56 pace)
My long run today was in sucky weather. It was 31 degrees with a 10 mph wind at the beginning of the run, then cold rain, then sideways cold rain, then the rain turned to "pelting" sleet, then to big beautiful snowflakes, then to "oh my" nothing for approximately 30 secs, then it went completely in reverse order ending with 33 deg and wind. Blach!
As I was running, I couldn't help but think of how good I felt for not giving up on my run today. Man I had every reason to quit. Along with me feeling good about my run, I was also thinking that everyone that saw me running thought that I was a nut - either that or I was an escaped convict.   haha
My pace was slower than last week, but that's okay considering the conditions. I underestimated the importance of long run base building and slow pace. The slower pace is not effecting my ability to run faster, ie intervals/ speedwork/ races.
If it wasn't for the weekend long runs this month my mileage would be lacking. Winter is the time when running production is down for many due to the weather, but for me it has been just the opposite. I complain about the cold, but the reality is that I would rather run in 30 deg instead of 85+. We all remember last years heat wave. phew.....
February Wrapup:
  • 75+ miles
  • 4 runs of >10 miles
  • 10K PR
That's it for now. Peace

15 Comments:

Laurel said...

I'm with you on the winter running. I couldn't believe how hard it felt to run in 60 degrees the other day. Of course, we are supposed to get 8 inches of snow tonight, so I guess my wish for winter running will be granted.

Great job on sticking with the run! And you're still doing great for being sick.

Get better soon!

Denise said...

Great mileage for Feb!! Especially with work being busy.

Your weather conditions sounded horrific. I just want nice, cool, dry weather to run in. Why is that so hard to get?

Steven Cohen said...

My brutha, you are the king of running in the elements (mine was only snow & cold), so now we have to get you running in the dark. I got an LED headlamp for Christmas, and I can be seen from space with it! ;)

Don't sweat the number of runs, because those are quality miles, and some serious long runs. Keep up the good work!

Kelly said...

You kick some major butt, Dave! Don't be down for "only" 75 miles...that is AWESOME!!!!!

And...I agree with you about temperature...I would rather run at 30 degrees also.

Be proud of yourself...look how far you have come!

Michelle said...

Don't fret my man!!! Your doing great and soon the weather will cooperate and give you days where all you want to do is run!!!

RIGHT???

Just run for me!!! My toe is giving me heartache!!!

NOT HEALING!!! Hopefully i will know more this week!!!!

Have a great March!!!

Progman2000 said...

Way to get out there - I also did 12 miles this morning, in snow. Yes I looked like a nut too, yes I am glad I went out too!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

you're right, you had every reason to quit, but didn't! Great job! I don't want to lose the hour of sleep, but am looking forward to longer days. hope this month is better for you :)

joyRuN said...

Great job on the 12, especially given the conditions!

Carly said...

75 miles is a huge accomplishment! great work.

Anonymous said...

for some reason I ADORE the world MUCK and all it brings to mind.

here's to spring coming in all its muckless (muckfree?) wonder.

Anonymous said...

I am sick of winter running. Mostly, having to run at night in the dark, I am so over it. You are doing great, keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like getting pelted in the face on your long run, eh!

Glad you reminded me of daylight savings coming up. Hooray for that!

Unknown said...

Repeat after me... SPRING IS COMING. SPRING IS COMING. Say this 10 times.

Hat off to you for keeping this going.

Thanks for the positive comment you have left. That was a great boost for me.

X-Country2 said...

What a great month!
That sounds like a miserable run. I'd have called the husband as soon as the rain started. You're way tougher than me.

Anonymous said...

Hope work's not killing you this week, Dave! I think about you after a few days of missed blogging.