I left a voicemail on Mother Nature's answering machine today and told her unless it warms up that we weren't friends anymore. She called back and left a message that said, "bite me!"
I really can't complain much because I'm not having the extreme cold like you peeps in the North. It's really starting to suck and sadly we won't see warm weather until March at the earliest. Spring where are you??
I know that everyone has a different philosophy on running and training. I loosely use Mcmillan's running paces to calculate my paces for the day. Along with a mixture of various plans that I have read. The most important aspect that I "try" to do is listen to my body. Easier said than done! I have a hard time doing that due to my competetiveness and my "hard-headed no pain-no gain." My thinking stems from playing football and basketball in high school and college. There was days that I didn't want to do anything, but when practise time came you just had to "suck it up." Hard to lose that mentality. For example: Long run days. They are designed to be slow and steady while working on form and keeping a lower HR. Most of us screw those up! I refuse to run 12 min miles - don't care what plan I'm following. (stubborn aren't I?) Here's my plan that I try to follow from week to week.
The pace ranges are calculated from my recent 5K, 5 mile, and 10 mile races.
Estimated VO2 max: 32 {my VO2 max at age 19: 69!}
Easy Run: 11:15 - 11:45 pace Ain't gonna do it!
Long Run: 11:15 - 12:15 pace [>8 miles] Upset if over 11min pace
Tempo : 9:48 - 10:15 pace Okay with that...
Speed(800m): 4:15 - 4:26 pace Okay with that..
Goal: 1 easy, 1 long>8 miles, 1 speed or tempo,1 medium length of 5-8 miles per week. Anything more than that is an easy run.
I 'm already slow as a snail, so anytime I see >11 min pace I hate it!
I found a neat little website for running paces. It's called runningforfitness and it has various running calculators. There is a calc where you can input your weight and recent race time and it will estimate a pace that you can run if you lose lbs. cool huh? Nice for people trying to lose weight. I figure if I cut off both arms, both legs, and chop off my head that I'll surely be able to run a 3 min/ mile.
Weigh-in is tomorrow. I hate scales! Fingers crossed..
3 years ago

22 Comments:
Hey Dave! Thanks for the recent comments...and I just love reading your posts..I was cracking up about cutting off limbs. Hope the weather gets better for you soon! It is my favorite time of year to run because it isn't too hot...do you feel sorry for me (he he)
I wish I had your mentality. I take any excuse to run slower, yet still wish that would somehow make my race times faster.
Cool website - good luck with the weigh in!
Mother Nature is definitely not cooperating. Thanks for posting those links, I'll have to check those out! LOL at cutting off your limbs...I want to get my VO2 max test done...
Eek, the dreaded scale. Good luck.
I'm off to check out that website!
Heh...you really wouldn't be able to do the low heart rate training program that I'm on!
I haven't done a 10 minute mile in 2 months never mind a 9 or 8!
I've got a half marathon in 4 weeks time so we'll see if it works eh!
Good luck with the weigh in!!
Dave, don't knock yourself out about low HR, because you know it's right! This winter I sometimes walk to bring it down, just to spite myself for wanting faster pace times! Keep knockin' 'em out.
LOL. Winter really sucks.
Great job with the runs and training philosophy. Sometimes slower really is better. Especially if "faster" leads to injuries and no more working out. Good luck with the weigh in and keep up the great work.
Good luck with weigh in.
Right now it's 1C. Seems downright balmy compared to the -25 we had the last 4 days!
that was a cool website!
thanks.
It sure has been cold here in NJ, this past weekend.
Good luck on the weigh in!
I'll join you in cutting off a limb, or maybe just the loose skin LOL!
You crack me up dude!!!
Thanks for the cool website link!!! We could so totally run together!!! We have very similar pacing!!!
My half mary is coming up...i am getting a little nervous!!!
How did it go on the scale? You are hard headed it's funny. I do miles in over 11 minutes and I don't think I am slow...you're moving forward aren't you??
I will NOT be keeping up with you in Nashville, that's for sure!!
It's been brutal up here and I am so sick of running on that treadmill. Next time you call Mother Nature can you please put in a good word for your freezing friend Shosh in NY. :-D Thanks! XOXO
Yes, Mother Nature has quite the sense of humor!!!!!!!!
Good luck on the weigh!
You got Mother Nature's answering machine because she's here in California taking a little vacation. I'm sure she'll get back to you soon. Love the website-I've used it before, good info there.
Cool website...I'm all about the numbers...
I have to say...since I started running 'slower' (as if I could GET any slower), I can actually run faster! Makes no sense I know...but my longer, s.l.o.w. runs have translated into faster running when I'm so inclined.
Seriously...don't be afraid to run slow, especially on the long run!
How did the weigh in go? No news is good news I hope?
:-)
Great post. I told Mother Nature to SUCK IT this morning! Want me to put a word in for you tomorrow? lol. Because you know, we are closer to MN up here in Canada. haha.
PS- Between you and me, I made an exception for your running blog. I have had to ban all others while injured! Yours makes me laugh :)
Thanks for mentioning about the website. I just bookmarked it. Like you, I have read so many different training books. There is not one that I have found that I like. I just run whatever I can to the best of my ability.
Good Luck with the weigh in!
http://runningdowndreams.wordpress.com/
UGH!!! No running for 4-6 weeks but i am hoping for sooner rather than later!!!
I am OK!!!
We want updates!
I have a hard time keeping a proper pace sometimes too. I feel like I am moving so slow, and my body keeps wanting to kick up the pace and go all out.
It is good in a way, because I am working on my discipline and I know that if I do it right my speed will pick up!
Post a Comment