Saturday, February 21, 2009

Hot and Cold

Man I am so glad that the weekend is here. We've been so busy at work and today couldn't have come any quicker. Our weather has been weird here in TN. Hot one day, cold the other. Today was a sweet, sunny, mid 50's day. Tomorrow will be another cold, windy, chance of snow day. I'm over it!!!
I took advantage of the weather and decided to do my long run today instead of the blustery Sunday. I bumped up my mileage a little more to 12 miles. Another great run! It's fun achieving these new milestones. Even though I was much faster and ran longer in college, I don't even count that now. I'm sure when I am in my 50-60's I will change my goals all over again. I finished with 12.02 miles in a bit over 2 hours. It sounds surreal to hear me say, "I ran for 2 hours.". I felt like I could've ran another couple miles. Feels good to be in a running groove right now.
I know a few of you have the Nike + sensors that you use for logging runs. I'm pretty much "fed up" with mine! The sensor gets all screwy when I change my stride. When I'm running easy and my stride is shorter it says that I'm running fast and when I increase my stride for speed it says that I'm running slow. Anyone else have that problem? Example: 10:30min/mile shorter stride - registers 9:45 pace. 9:00min/mile longer stride - 10:30 pace. It's all about stride - no matter how many times I recalibrate. Any suggestions?
I still run with my Polar watch and I have it calibrated so that it is "dead on." Stride length doesn't matter. Last weeks 6.21 mile(10K) race - Polar : 6.29 miles. Nike+ : 5.45 miles. I'm so close to buying a Garmin that I can taste it! haha
Insurance stuff is finally over. Bought a new truck - much nicer than than my other. Haggled 12K off the price. ;)

22 Comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

my Nike+ kit is wwwaaaayyyyy off too, which is why i either also run with my Polar or Garmin. I still like running with music, and the nikeplus website is kinda neat with the charts, etc, so that's why i've stuck with it. Great job on the 12 miles... sounds like you've improved a lot! congrats on the new truck too. Enjoy your sunday... i'm hoping to get a long run in tomorrow, but we're getting dumped on with lots of snow... :(

Marci said...

I have read nothing but negative reviews for Nike + so I am sticking with the Garmey. Great job on your 12 miles!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the truck! You might need to post a few pointers on how to negotiate that well! ha

I think I'm the ONLY one on planet earth who doesn't have problems with the Nike+. Granted, I've only got 120 miles on it, so it may start to act up on me soon. But every now and then, I'll wear my Garmin with it so I can verify its accuracy. So far so good.

I'm jealous and proud of your 12 mile run. Still felt like you could go more? That's AWESOME! =)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure when I am in my 50-60's I will change my goals all over again.
----
Ive been thinking about that lately as well. it is hard NOT to compare oneself to the self of yore :) and Im now hitting that age when its all starting to be in the rearview mirror and uncapturable.

I needed this reminder---whether you intended or not---to just work to be the best I can be RIGHT NOW.

Miz.

Denise said...

12K off the price?? I need to take you along next time I get a car!

Great job with the long run. I agree with it being surreal. It still amazes me that I'm able to run for hours...

Anonymous said...

Great comment about changing goals with age. I know too many people who say things like "...I ran it that fast when I was in my early 20's..." Instead of enjoying what they're accomplishing today, they get frustrated and end up quitting.

Ron said...

Congrats on your running! Glad you got your insurance stuff all settled, I know that pain!

Oz Runner said...

I have heard that you can get great deals on trucks these days...way to haggle...and nice job on the long run...I don't trust my nike+ either, and am like you very close to getting a garmin......

Steven Cohen said...

I'm impressed with the truck deal! Having insurance cash to present probably didn't hurt, but the climate also doesn't hurt! They're itching to get rid of stock, so they can pay back loans of their own. Now, which car do I want?

Nice run, too, btw! As for Nike, I can't relate, since I'm all about the Garmin. (Daaaaave, this is your future Garmin talking. come out and plaaaaaay.)

joyRuN said...

Get a Garmin already!! I felt like I wasted my time & money with the Nike+.

Enjoy the new truck :)

Michelle said...

WOW terrific 12 miler!!! You are amazing superdave!!! Keep it going for me OK???

And get the garmin! It is really accurate!!!

Anonymous said...

NIce job on the run! I am so sick of this crazy weather too. I am ready for winter to be a memory.

Laurel said...

Great job on the 12 miler! Wont it be nice when the weather finally warms up a bit?

Thanks for your kind words on my post the other day. I appreciate it :)

Andrew is getting fit said...

Buy the Garmin! You know you want to...!

Marcy said...

Ooohhh yeah! You gotta get that Garmin baby!

Unknown said...

Pssst.. psst.. Go on eBay and you will find a GREAT deal on Garmin 405. You will be like a little boy on Christmas Day. You will love it and you will never let go of the new Garmin.

The Boring Runner said...

Getting a Garmin 305 off of amazon or ebay will be the best $150 you ever spend.

Well, maybe not the best, but it will be the most fun after having ran 10 miles with it!

Cyndi said...

Well you know MY story about my Garmin Forerunner 50. Don't get THAT one at least - I just learned that the foot pod is not 'really' waterproof and doesn't do well in cold. Go for one of the higher end models - I can't wait to upgrade!

Nice job on the 12 miler - you inspire me Big D! ;-)

X-Country2 said...

Way to knock out that 12 miler! Love the feeling of being done and know you could have gone farther.

I'm not help with the distance monitor, but I've heard the Garmin is worth the money.

Anonymous said...

I've seen good deals on the Garmin at Costco (Sam's Club in the States?). Am thinking of taking the leap too.

Really like what you say about tweaking our goals and expectations for different stages of life.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

your comment on my post today about the uneven ears gave me a good laugh! Thanks, i needed one today! :D

RunningTarheel said...

Hey Dave! Long time, no talk! That's great that you are running 12 miles!!! I *might* try and do a 1/2 marathon in October, so perhaps one day I'll be there. :)