Thursday, March 5, 2009

Questions

Midweek up date - not had one of those in a while. Woohoo on the weather right now. We are in the 60-70's in the Tenessee Region, but sadly I am at work and have to look at the sun through the glass of the concrete jungle. (aka work) I do have the weekend off and it looks like the weather will stay here until sunday. - I hope.
Couple comments, questions to ponder - facebook and running stuff. First of all, I am going to make a comment about facebook. I've pretty much been "shunning" joining the internet craze until a couple weeks ago. I wish now I would've joined earlier. It allows you to hook up with old high school friends,long lost relatives, and new friends. High school was so much fun when we were young and I have rekindled my friendship with many of my old classmates. Same thing for relatives. As we get older we go to college, get jobs, and move off to never see each other again. How often do we see our relatives? Our lives get in the way. I loved the post by Laurel about her longtime friend and it make me realize just how important friends are. Even our crazy cookoo family. Reason I bring this up is because I have hooked up with my old pal from high school(via Facebook) and we are trying to organize running a couple races together.
Running question:I have been training for the Nashville Half Marathon on April 26th and am ahead of my schedule. Most programs call for 10 miles before the race, but I have run over 12miles twice last month and will probably be up to 14 miles by the end of the April uncluding taper time. There is a half marathon in 3 weeks on March 29th that I would like to run with an old high school buddy. Is a month too close for races? Mind you - My friend from HS runs 30 sec - 1 minute slower than I( I think). I plan to finish with him no matter what my time, so even though this is a race it'll be more of a training run. This will be my first half marathon. My ultimate goal is to peak at the end of April. If I run both, do I still need to taper for the first one or continue with my original plan and use as a training run? Is this advisable? Have any of you done this before?
One more thing - Give my girl a "get well" for she still has a broken toe that won't heal and it is killing her! Sry Michelle :(

Angela put this quote up the other day and I thought it was cool.
“Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you.” ~William Arthur Ward

Isn't that cool! Peace

18 Comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

FB has allowed me to reconnect with some amazing friends that i lost touch with long ago, so i'm grateful :)

sounds like you have a good base already, if you do the HM as a training run with your friend, I think you'd be fine. just don't go all out and 'race' it, both should be manageable! Good luck! :D

Denise said...

If you have that good of a base, then go for both of them. I would rest after the first one but then you should be fine. I have run half marathons in with long run trainings, I think you can handle both.

Lori said...

I am so jealous of your weather!!

I don't know if you should taper before the first one, or just rest after it - but you should do one of those.

Carly said...

I am a facebook junkie. I love the fact that I have reconnected with so many old ( and new ) friends.

Oh She Glows said...

Thanks for the shoutout! :) Isnt that quote so true?

I personally would taper a bit + rest afterwards...you can never be too careful when it comes to injury prevention! I may be biased though, lol.

Keep on trucking! I am jealous of your warmer weather...although I heard it is supposed to be warm here tomorrow- 14C

Anonymous said...

Ditto the facebook avoidance till recently. Now I'm hooked. Send me your last name on Daily Mile so we can be FB friends!

Steven Cohen said...

Been doing FB for most of last year. I waste too much time on it now, but it's fun to connect, especially with former students.

If you're not racing the first 1/2, do you have to taper? Probably not. Maybe treat the 2nd as the event you're training for, and the taper for that. But I'm no expert!

FLYERS26 said...

FB is a wild place. I have found friends I haven't seen in forever..

As for the 1/2, I think you'll be fine. Treat it as a training run, and not a race.

joyRuN said...

I don't think a month is too close - your base sounds solid.

I love how FB has connected me with friends & family that I otherwise wouldn't have. I don't appreciate how sucked in I get (which is all my fault, btw).

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the weather. I'm in the Western Ky region. We've been on a yo yo, but looking much better from here out!

Unknown said...

I am totally with you about the weather. I love FB. FB to me is like having a big reunion.

You might want to take the first HM as your training run and the second one as your serious race. I think you are building it up nicely.

X-Country2 said...

I can't do Facebook. I'll be the last person on earth holding out, but I just can't pick up another crack habit.

Good luck with your race. I totally vote you do it.

Cyndi said...

If nothing else, FB has shown me that my life really isn't all that interesting (I can't continue to update myself every 10 minutes) - however, everyone ELSES life is interesting ha ha! It's fun to reconnect with old friends, and get to know new friends. I'm addicted but I love it!

Go for both races Dave ~ you've got the training in, I like your idea of one race being a 'training run'.

Michelle said...

Thank you my man!!! I appreciate your well wishes to me!!!!!

AND we are facebook friends!!! Cool right???

Enjoy your runs this weekend!!! I am sorry I don't know much about training right now. Just be careful and have fun!!!!

Michelle said...

Yes that quote rocks!!!!!

I love it and have to use it someday!!!!

Laurel said...

High school was fun? I don't remember that part of it. LOL.

You could totally do the HM's that close to each other. You have already done a couple of 12 mile runs so you're already ready. Especially if you do the first as a training run, you'll be fine.

If it was me, I would work up to the first HM, run it as a training race, then taper down after that to the second race and run that one for time. It will be better anyway since the "nerves" will be gone from running the first one.

Good luck!

Ron said...

Congrats on getting those good runs in.. sounds like you will do fine in April!

Marcy said...

I'm with everyone else. First one as a training run and thent eh second one as a the fo serious race ;-)