Thank God the weekend is here!
Another running story to tell, but first the dogs!
This "running loose" dog sh*t has to stop. It is becoming very frustrating to run on side roads with all the non-chained dogs roaming around. This is the 4th time I have had to change a route due to "DOGS!" Today as I turned a corner a pack of 3 came running out of a yard. They were a good distance off, so it was easy just to turn around. My frustration is boiling over. . (Can you say leash law?) I love animals and I may have to start running with some kind of dog repellant. That sucks - Do you hear me Farley ?
Now to the run:
I had a great run today(Of course after the dogs)- an exciting hilly 5.2 mile run. A gorgeous day - sunny, 72 degrees, low humidity, a faint touch of wind. I was at about the 5K mark when I turned a corner and seen a runner in front of me. He was coming off a side road to the main road about a 1/4 mile ahead. My 5K split was 31:46, so around a 10:15 pace. I got the silly idea that I was going to try and pass him in the final 2.1 miles. hehe.. I picked up my pace to around (9:45) and noticed the gap getting larger. Sped up to (9:30) and the gap evened. He looked back at me with about a mile and a half to go and I think he noticed that I was keeping pace. He sped up, then I sped up. LOL! A quick glance at my watch and we were @ (9:00) pace. "It was on like donkey kong!"

Little by little I was gaining on him. With a mile to go my pace was @ 7:45, but he was still 1/4 mile ahead. My lungs were burning, my blood was pumping and it felt good! The rush of adrenaline "kicked in" and I was in the midst of a runners high. My watched " beeped" to signal the last half - mile and I was within 50 feet of him. As I was passing him, he waved and a big grin was on his face. I gave out this sad, breathless "Howdy!" We ran for another minute or so, and I could still hear his footstrikes behind me. We finally finished and he was only 10 feet behind. He patted me on the back, and said ,"good run, huh?" as we both bent over in agony. We talked for a bit and he admitted that he was trying to keep me from passing him. haha. He said, "Do you know how fast we ran that last mile in? 7 mins!" My reply, "Wow, really. No way!" Not quite a 7 min/ mile..
Anyway, here are the stats: m1 - 10:25, m2 - 10:20, m3 - 9:59,m4 - 8:37, m5 - 7:39!, 0.2 - 1:22. I have another 2 mile PR Old : 17:19 , NEW 16:16! 5.2 miles in 48:18 (9:17 avg) WOOHOO!!
Moral of the story: If you want to break your short mileage PR's , hire a dog named Farley to chase you or hire a man to pace you.
3 years ago
6 Comments:
Hi Dave!
That's a great story. You both were trying to beat each other and in the end, both ran great splits. Good job on the 7 minute mile!!! That's superfast!
Dang - 7 minutes!
Motivation can really push you!
Wow - nice last kick! Sounds like a great run :)
What a fun story! As I read this I thought, 'boy I hope he passes this guy after he had to deal with those mutts!'
Needless to say, kudos for the happy ending to a great run!
Congrats on your run. A little friendlt competition makes for good motivation.
I agree about the dogs. I keep mine fenced, and when we're walking in leash-only parks or any where in town, they're leashed. I once had a large dog run full force at me from across the street, growling and teeth gnashing. I hustled my dog behind me, and braced for impact, ready to start kicking our would be attacker. Fortunately, this dog only wanted to scare us, and the owner came for him. It really left me feeling shaken, though.
I hear ya on the loose dogs.
Check out my blog, I had a loose rotty come after me at 6:00am.
How the heck does a dog like that get loose in the early am?
Post a Comment