Has anyone besides me been chased by a dog during their run? I don't mean like barked at threw a fence. I mean literally chased!
Story( bare with me - I never tell anything quickly)
I waited until the evening to run beacuse it was cooler, temp 76 deg, beautiful evening. Started out running at a good pace. My achilles was very sore this evening - I noticed it after about 1/4 mile. My intentions were not to run fast tonight. Easy run that turned into "FREAKIN" strides/intervals/speedwork. Feeling good around mile 2, when I heard a dog barking. Looked over and about 200 feet away was a 60 lb boxer charging and barking. Have you ever seen the muscles in these dogs?
The owner is screaming, "FARLEY!! FARLEY!!" at the top of his lungs. Then the guy yells, " He will bite you!!" My pace slowed a bit when I heard a dog barking, but after he said, " He will bite you!" I ran with all my ****** life! Usain Bolt has nothing on me. LOL! Have you ever tried to run sideways fast while looking behind you? I figured out that the dog wasn't use to running fast for longer than 300 feet. He got within 10 feet of me before, he gave up the chase. You SOB!!!! I did notice that the owner had a look of relief on his face, as he "beat" the dog back into submission. Yikes! My 4 miler turned out, m1 - 10:15, m2 - 10:01, m3 - 8:03 --- m3(1/2mile split) was 3:31!!!(that would be 7:02 pace ,yeah baby!), m4 - 9:16. Since I was already doing speed work, I decided to keep going. LOL!
I have a new 2 mile PR - 17:19(8:39 pace)!!
3 years ago
9 Comments:
That's one way to set a new PR!
Thanks for visiting my blog. I am new to your blog and its GREAT. I have subsribed to your blog.
Like you, it is every runner's nightmare when encountering dogs. I think I have read too much Stephen King's novel especially Cujo. I do not wish upon any runner to deal with this. I have had quite a few encounters but nothing serious like pit bull or boxer or german shepherd. I hope that I won't have to encounter any mean-fierce stray dogs in the future.
Looks like we had the same evening. Except mine was not so fierce. Still scares the crap out of you huh. Mine saw me from 50 yards out and decided to greet me so I had to face him head on. Luckily he stopped. I am not sure I would be ready to be chased by a do though.
Regardless - Nice speed work!
That sounds like some serious motivation to run faster.
Well, that's one way to increase your speed. Bad Boy, Farley! How are those Achilles today?
Now that is motivation to run! Boxers are big dogs, but normally sweeties. It's scary when the owner calls out that it will bite!
Now THIS is the funniest thing I've read all day, lol!
Sweet PR but what a way to achieve it huh???
No more dogs chasing you OK???
Michelle
Haha. Farley! But hey, a new PR is good!
Post a Comment