Thursday, July 31, 2008

July Wrapup

I haven't blogged in a few..In fact my running has really suffered this month due to the heat and work. My final talley for the month is 45 miles. Not so good. I have actually sat down a few times at my computer to blog, but I keep getting sidetracked. The heat index for this upcoming week is @ 100 degrees. Even getting out in the early morning to run is still undesirable. I remember reading in Runners World magazine a few months ago that the ideal temperature for running is 52 degrees. Anything above or below causes pace to decline.
The heat is really getting to me. I went for a simple 5 mile run the other day. Temp 84 deg/ humidity 95-100%. I felt great when I took off. Started out at a 10min pace for the first 2 miles. I realized that I couldn't keep up at the pace for long so I backed off. By mile 4, I was exhausted. I nearly finished off my 20 oz bottle of water. I had to walk for a short time up a hill. I never have to do that!! It took over an hour to run 5.5 miles. Whats up with that?? Discouraging! I decided to run yesterday after work. It was still 88 degrees @ 9 pm. Sun was going down. I didn't run. Frustrating.....
Now that I got that out, Let me tell you about the good hike that I had the other day. Since I have started trail running recently, I have found many new exciting and "difficult" trails. The boys and I hiked a new difficult trail with lots of elevation. The hike was 3 miles up and down a mountain. We seen a few deer, but the best part was at the end. It finished at the lake with a great beach area. We yanked our socks, shoes and shirts off and jumped in. It was nearly 90 degrees and then water was great! We swam and cooled off for a bit, and then took off to finish the hike. Secret hideway..
Me and the boys are on week 3 Day 2 of the hundred pushups challenge (8 weeks or more total.) We are up to 88 pushups in 5 sets. It is getting tougher and tougher. The most we have to do ina row right now is 25 with 60-90 seconds breaks in between sets. By the end, we are at complete exhaustion. I'll be up to 100 hundred by the end of the week.. Remember it is 100 pushups straight, not 100 total.

3 Comments:

Human Microbiome Search Engine said...

The heat is a killer, isn't it. It's been over 100 degrees here recently.

Speaking of 100, congratulations on your success with the 100-pushups program. That is really becoming popular.

SuperDave said...

Thanks Jim,
It's tough and thanks for the link on your blog. In fact, some very interesting blogs on your site.

SeaShore said...

Wow! You're almost there! Congratulations on the push up challenge and also for your weight loss. It must feel wonderful.

Thanks for visiting my site.