Sunday, April 26, 2009

Nashville Half Marathon Race Report

Good and bad on this one. Good Race, Bad Me.
Nashville which is part of the Rock N' Roll Marathon Series was definitely a hit! They did everything right from the Expo to the downtown run to the Starting Line to the Finish Line. It was well organized with plenty of water stops, cheering sections, and bands. BTW I only heard 1 country song - phew.. Thank -You! Mostly Rock N Roll! Nashville is a beautiful city.(not dirty like most.)

state capitol
symphony center
Athens Parthenon replica
Friday afternoon I hit the Expo along with a 100,000 others - Ughh!

placing time chip on shoe
The Stick
Me being silly
yep me being silly again
Now to the race. Race went off @ 7am for the elite. I was in corral # 17 out of #35. I hit the starter mat @ 7:33. Wow! If you don't already know,but the temps were 80deg @start and 89deg @ finish and full of sun! We've all been complaining about the lack of warm temps and BAM we get hit with HEAT!! in April!! It was trouble.
before race, all smiles
the kenyans
My goal was 2:15 and I stayed with the pace leader for most of the early race. I was pacing where I wanted to be, but mile 6 was where I noticed the temps . There wasn't any shade coverage since we were running through town. By mile 8 I was feeling queasy and finally allowed the pace team to catch up with me. We were avg 10:15/mile to that point and had hit the majority of the big hills. I just kept thinking if I could make it to mile 9(15kish), then there would be a hill repreave. As I passed the 15K mark, my stomach couldn't take it anymore and I jumped off course and behind a building and preceded to vomit/barf/upchuck/lose my guts(you get the picture) for the next 10 minutes. Every time I would get up to start again, the "dry-heaves" would start. I swear everytime I would "throw-up" I looked at my watch to see how much time I was losing. The overwhelming disgust set in. I finally got up and noticed I was 9 1/2 minutes behind. I started back slowly and stomach felt a little better. The 1/2 mile split was 14.75 minutes. I knew I lost any chance at a PR back at "vomit central" so I tried to make the most of the remaining race. My legs felt great, my stamina felt good, but I struggled with my stomach until the end. I managed to finish in 2:24:28. Which is precisely 9 and 1/2 freakin minutes off of my goal. This is tame today, you should've heard me yesterday.
You can never anticipate the weather. From 50 deg to high 80's in 2 days, go figure, just my luck... By mile 11 there was people lying all over the course, ambulances were scrambling. There was easily a couple hundred people lying on the sidewalks waiting for help, it looked like a M.A.S.H Unit. My neighbor who won the Knoxville Marathon 2 years ago said that she ran 25 minutes slower than last year.
tuckered out
enough energy to sneak a smile
TN Titans stadium
mile 26



I ran my second - half marathon in 5 weeks and am happy and feel accomplished for that. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't dissapointed. I trained for this, hit the hills often, and ran longer tempo runs. It just wasn't meant to be. Unfortunately I won't get the opportunity at another half until the Fall time. That sucks! I want redemption!!!
Stats:
4800 feet of elevation change!!
Splits  Elevation   HR
m1 10:13 +167 151
m2  9:46  + 91   156
m3 10:30 +436 158
m4 10:45 +160 161
m5 10:49 +162 162
m6 10:07 +96   162
m7 10:22 +413 165
m8 10:33 +120 167
m9 19:43!! +71 165 You would think my HR would've dropped after 9 mins down.
m10 11:52 +57 168
m11 9:58 +173 169
m12 9:50 +170 170
m13 10:00 +190 171(91% of max)
13.22 miles in 2:24:28

29 Comments:

Steven Cohen said...

Wow, man, that is special! Considering you spent 10 minutes in non-running activity, I'd say your finish time was right on target. Way to go, anyway! Glad ya did it!

courtney said...

Congrats on this accomplishment, Dave!
Sorry about the barf break.
Seriously? Hundreds lying on the ground? Sounds like a war zone, like you said!
Well done, you're an inspiration.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Yikes, sorry you were barfing, etc... but you pulled it off and finished it! Awesome! We even got hit with a wave of heat, so I can only imagine what it must have been further south! Rest up, and enjoy your accomplishment :)

Lori said...

Good for you on finishing even though you barfed! I don't think I would have had the stamina to do that!

Your time still looked pretty darn good to me!

Greg at Live Fit said...

I live near Nashville, and when I went for my lunchtime run on Friday, I thought about all you guys running on Saturday. I know how I felt at noon, so I can only imagine how rough it was.

I know its frustrating, but you should be proud to have finished it off. I would've called it quits after the barf break.

FLYERS26 said...

Congrats at finishing! You could have easily quit when the vomiting started, but you didn't.
Heat is a bitch, it was warm here in NJ, and I had trouble with it today, on my run.

Carly said...

Yipes to the barfing! I think you rocked the race despite that little stop. Great photos!

MizFIt said...

uh. wow.

throwing up?

keeping on keepin' on?

you are SO MUCH MO' hardcore than I.

Ron said...

Wow, You continued on and completed the marathon ??? Congrats!!!

joyRuN said...

Congratulations!!

Great job gutting through those conditions :)

Ashley said...

Well Dave, I think you are a rockstar for finishing after "vomit central" !!! I know it blows that the exact amount of time you lost just happens to be the same amount of time you were away from your goal....but you faced rough conditions and still managed to come out with a decent time. THAT, to me, is bad ass!

Mistyfied said...

Great race!

Marcy said...

Dude!!! CONGRATS!! Given the hand you were dealt with you did a MOST EXCELLENT job. You rocked ;D ;D

Slackey said...

Ditto what everyone else says-- it takes some balls to finish a race after a puke break.

Keep up the good work!

Kelly said...

Sorry that you ended up puking! That is never fun in a race, but at least you know that you would have PR'd if you didn't spend all that time hurling :)

Michelle said...

Dude you ran a 9.46 2nd mile!!! That rocks in and of itself!!

I am so freaking proud of you finishing this half mary!! You did great!!! Really great!

You will have many more opportunities to run more halfs. Maybe someday we can run one together!!!

WOO!!!

Denise said...

Wow, you did great considering the stomach issue. Sorry about that. Really stinks!

kpolumbo said...

Hi! This is kpolumbo from the CMM Half Challenge on buckeyeoutdoors.com. I wanted to see how my fellow challengers did, and found your blog from there!

Congrats on the finish, despite the major barfing set-back. The conditions were pretty darn miserable on Saturday. I wish there had been some warmer days to train in.

My racing day was pretty similar to yours (minus the puking). I also started in pace corral 17 and hung with the 2:15 pacers until about mile 5. Crazy!! I guess I was running with you. I also started feeling the heat and blaring sun, so I fell back because I did not want to be one of those people passed out on the sidelines. I slowed my pace, ended up being able to run the whole thing through and finished at 2:25:12 (so right behind you!). I think I could've hit 2:15 if it hadn't been so hot, but I'm proud to have finished my first half marathon, especially in such bad conditions and with only 12 weeks of training!

Hopefully next year's will be much cooler!!

Happy Fun Pants said...

THAT IS INSANE!

Way to go! You are such an inspiration! I can't believe you pushed through - even though you barfed!

X-Country2 said...

What a way to gut out a tough race. This will only make you stronger for the next one. :o)

Unknown said...

i, too, was trying for a 215 finish and crossed in at 224. the heat was brutal! i didn't throw up but started to feel nauseous around mile 4 and ended the race with a headache that lasted the rest of the day. i ran with two friends- one finished in the vomitorium and the other finished but had muscle cramps the whole way. after hearing that, i felt good about just getting over the finish line!

MyRunningJourney said...

Sorry you got sick, but congrats on finishing! Way to go!!

My husband and I are running that marathon (the full) next year!! Glad to hear it is well organized!

Unknown said...

Woooohoooo.. You are the man! You rock, dude. Sorry about the barfo thing but cannot believe you went ahead. I know the heat is really a killer. I was just reading another blog about the Nashville HM report. He was saying that a lot of runners had to bail out due to the heat but you managed to cross the line. Way to go dude !!! Congrats !!!

COTY said...

Way to hang in there. Great pics

Progman2000 said...

I've been out of the loop on your racing (and blogs in general) - congratulations dude, nicely done.

Jen's Journey said...

Sorry this is late, but WELL DONE!! Congrats on your half, despite the stomach upset, you still did such a great job!

Take care and keep going strong!!
Jen

Oh She Glows said...

You did freaking awesome Dave- seriously you shouldn't be disappointed at all. You are such an inspiration to me! I can't imagine running in that heat. I'm gearing up for my first race ever June 14th and I hope to god its not that hot! lol.

Kevin Westbrook said...

I ran this too! The heat was terrible. It was my first time to run this race. As terrible as that experience must have been, it made for a really entertaining post! Good luck on your future runs.

chris mcpeake said...

Way to go. Barfing rules... LOL. not really but way to finish the race. I hate barfing