Sunday, January 25, 2009

Weaning or Weinie either one

As of last week, I've had to wean myself from my addiction of blogging once again. Much the same as Joy, even though I don't get hounded as much as her. LOL! Not much going on this time a year that I can't jot down in a few lines. I'm still active visiting sites though - can't get away from that addiction quite yet.
I feel like I'm in a "healthy eating zone" right now, which is a great thing to be in. Going back to the beginning of the year, my rededication to eating healthy is going well. I've picked up the good habits that helped me shed my intial weight and am moving in the right direction. It's a complete mental thing for me. When I'm locked in, I can turn any "bad" food down. When I'm not, anything can sway me. Just have to remember that this is a lifestyle change and not another failed diet to be. I am a big eater without a doubt, so for me its about substituting foods to get filled up. For example: Oatmeal for breakfast w/ banana -very filling..; Subway chicken breast or Veggie Sub; Lrg eggwhite omelet w/ tons of veggies. Again it's all about choices...

I only lost 1 lb last week, but it was a loss and I ate good. I weigh in tomorrow and I'm crossing my fingers that I will lose again. It's weird how weight fluctuates. First week I lost 6 lbs and didn't exercise all that much. Last week I ran 20 miles and lost 1 lb. With food staying constant, I probably should have lost a bit more. Damn water weight! I see how you gals get frustrated by that "mean monthy bloat monster." haha Sry , but that was funny...
On a running note: I ran my first 10 miler of the year today and hope the first of many. I'm not going to lie by saying the last 2 miles was easy because they weren't. In fact, it felt like I was running in slow motion for the final 2, but long and slow right? Since I don't have a ton of free time lately, I have been working on the quality of my runs.
In addition to running this year, twice weekly I've been consistent at upperbody strength training and core workouts. I'm sticking with the high reps, low weight strength training approach. If I can't lift a weight in 15 reps then it's too much weight for me. If time allows, I'll kick in a third day a week.. Then again I'll kick in another day running, then again I'll start swimming, then again I'll add biking to the mix, then again I'll..........
Hope your Monday kicks off a good start to your week.
Peace. ;)

19 Comments:

Lori said...

Dave, you're doing great! 1 pound is awesome for a loss! Every bit adds up over time :)

And congrats on the run. I have never run more than 4.5 miles - maybe when the weather warms up around here (in oh, say, March!!) I'll try some longer ones... or any outside for that matter!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

great job on the 10 miles, and congrats on the loss! Awesome job! :)

Kelly said...

Awesome Dave!!! Hey I referenced you in my blog yesterday...hope you don't mind! Can't wait until my mileage is up there with yours..

Laurel said...

What is the deal with the last two miles of long runs? They are always the worst, no matter the distance.

Hey, 1lb is great! So is 10 miles. Awesome job!

Ron said...

Glad your decision of eating healthy is going good. Congrats on the loss!

Anonymous said...

Dave, Good job on the run and the healthy eating lifestyle change. Also, on the comment you left on my blog, have you checked out the Give Me Your Eyes Video? If not here is the link. Puts more perspective to the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OihvG607W-c

Andrew is getting fit said...

I'm with you about how when you're in the zone it's dead easy and when you're not it's not! This last week I've not been in the zone I'm afraid but I will be this week!

Denise said...

A pound is a pound...good job!!

And congrats on the 10 miler!! It's addicting, now you'll keep tacking miles on to that number!

Slackey said...

Great job on the run and the weight loss... keep it up Dave! :)

Jennifer Newman said...

to quote (or something like that) a good friend (you) a loss is a loss!!

One pound is awesome!!
10 miles - even awesomer! (don't tell anyone that an English teacher wrote awesomer...hahaha)

Cyndi said...

You are so right Dave...it IS all in the mind. You just keep yourself 'locked in' and focused because you are doing great!

Forget all the blog addiction nonsense....reading blogs and staying connected to people with the same goals keeps me motivated to keep going. When I log on and read about everyone's 'awesome run' or 'I lost one pound!' - it just adds fuel to the fire for me.

Congrats on the first 10 miler of the year...and many more to come!

Anonymous said...

Your still doing great, keep it up. I have been in a bit of a funk myself. I need to get back on track and soon.

joyRuN said...

LOVE that cartoon - so true!

Good job with the 10 miles :) Have you been taking a gel/something on those runs? That helped me with those last two miles.

Michelle said...

WOOHOO on the 10 miler!!! I am proud of you dude!!!

My broken toe and myself are very happy for you!!! The weight, the running, the whole shebang!!!!

I will be right behind you, in a month maybe sooner!!!!!!

BeachRunner said...

Sounds like you are doing great to me. Congrats on the 10 miler. That is awesome.

Oh She Glows said...

Wow you are rocking 2009 so far!! So inspiring. Great job on the 10 miler, at this point, it is only something I can dream about! Keep up the healthy eating, I'm telling you, one of these days I am going to get your to try a green monster smoothie of mine and you will be hooked. :) It opens a whole new world you never knew existed...
Ok, now I sound like a creepy cult leader. lol.

Anonymous said...

ten miles is AMAZING in my lameass3milebook.

Id bow in awe but Im too sore from lifting yesterday.

Donnalouise said...

Dave!!! Sorry I'm been out of it - off the wagon and just eating everything in sight. And just when I was getting into joggin - even bought new shoes. I'm working hard to get back into the swing of things. Thanks for commenting on my blog while I was not doing well with things. I really appreciate your support.

X-Country2 said...

10 miles is a great milestone. Double digits is where people get REALLY impressed. Keep it up!