Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Naughty or Nice

As Christmas quickly approaches us, have you got your shopping done yet? I think I'm finally finished as of yesterday including stocking stuffers. This year is the first time EVER that I planned early and bought my large gifts before the rush. It has worked beautifully and the hecticness(is that a word?) has not been here this year. One thing I have noticed this year is the lack of spirit in the holiday. The economy seems to have a big part in that. My neighbors haven't decorated like they usually do and the malls aren't spilling over with people. My wish is that this recession we're in makes people think more about love, family and kindness.
I normally don't ask for much and I would much rather give a gift than recieve. I love watching my kids open gifts - nothing better in the world. This year I am hoping to recieve a running gift - any running gift, darn it!  LOL!!         even if it is a pair of socks, man those running socks are expensive!!!
Questions:
1)Is your shopping done? (Dec. 16 - tick,tick,tick..)
2)What did you ask for yourself for Christmas?
3)Home or Away for the holidays?
4)Runners - What running item/items did you ask for this year? Looking forward to your answers..
On the running front: I worked-in an 8.76 mile long run Saturday. It felt great! Need to try for a 10miler in the next couple weeks. I don't want to lose my long run stamina. I took Sunday off from running and ran a easy 5K Monday. Got a late start on tonight's workout, but I managed another 5K. My energy level was high throughout the day, but by the time I hit the treadmill tonight my legs decided that it was time to rest.  I finished the run and then did 1 hour of a upperbody lifting. I did manage 51 miles this past 2 weeks, so "on track!"

23 Comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

until about 8pm tonight, i was at 0% complete on the shopping front, but am now about 90% done after being convinced to meet a friend at a mall. i agree with the spirit... i'm looking forward to some down time with the family rather than the hustle bustle of daily life.

Kelly said...

Awesome Dave! On track for mileage!!! WOOHOO! I haven't purchased anything for Christmas yet, but tomorrow we are leaving for Disneyland to suprise our 6 year old for Christmas! I can't wait!!!!

Cyndi said...

I've noticed the the lack of spirit thing too...like people are shopping because they HAVE to, but really wished they didn't have to spend the money. I've made every effort to cut back subtly, it gets hard when the kids are older, the gifts get more pricey!

Like you, I am really all about the kids on Christmas morning. My husband and I exchange just a few gifts, because we would rather get the kids things they need or want.

HOWEVER, that's not to say I didn't put together a little list ha ha....mainly because hubby has no clue about these things, lol.

The main thing I want is a waterproof warm jacket for winter running in Northeast Ohio! I could really wear it from October to March so it is a good investment! Other than that - little stuff like a headband, gloves etc.

'Home' for the holidays - Christmas Eve at home and Christmas Day at the in-laws, 5 miles away!

Denise said...

1 - done, but that's because we only bought for the nephews this year!! We're all fortunate and don't need anything so we decided to just spend time together instead.
2 - oatmeal, of course!
3 - home! Never traveling out of state again on the holidays.
4 - I'm treating myself to the New Orleans half in Feb...that's my running present!

Unknown said...

1. Mission completed.

2. All I want is a healthy family for Christmas. Hugs and kisses will do.

3. Home Sweeeeet Home !!!

4. Gift certificates to any running store.

Happy Fun Pants said...

1)YES! :) My shopping is all finally done and after today all gifts that need to be mailed will be in the mail.
2)I asked myself for patience. I need it these days.
3)Away - I'm going to be making the long trek to El Paso, Texas in my MINI with my huge great dane. Should be...interesting.
4)Alright - so I'm not as much of a runner as I used to be. I typically use the elliptical machine...but I figure that this will help the runners. I normally wouldn't post this on a guy's site, but my thought is that it might help one of your fellow female runners (TMI ALERT!). I asked for Enell bras. They are so very fantastic. If you're large breasted - they make all the difference between a comfortable satisfying work out and one where you want to call a doctor to get them removed at the next available minute. I know... TMI - but I hope someone else found that helpful.

Anonymous said...

WOW you're an early shopper! The malls here are pretty dead too and everything is on sale. Of course being in Rock Center with the gazillion tourists you'd never guess there was a recession. :-)

I have gotten 3 gifts this year and I'm done. We don't do Chanukah anymore now that we're all "grown up".

Good news on the long run. It is so hard to keep this training going strong during the winter. There is so little motivation but we must power through.

How far are you from Nashville? Would you be able to come over for dinner in April? :-)

Lori said...

I'm pretty much done, except for stocking stuffers for DH.

I agree on the spirit, malls and stores definitely not crowded this year.

I didn't ask for much for Christmas - I always ask for people to donate to heifer.org as my gift, but that rarely happens and I don't know why.

I did ask for shower gels and for running a Road ID. Hope I get it! LOL

Great job on the mileage - you rock!

BeachRunner said...

I'm 95% done.

Great job on the run and workout.

Wryly said...

1)No. I've just purchased a few gifts. But today and tomorrow before work is my shopping time. And I will get it done!
2)Some cookbooks and DVDs at Amazon.
3)Christmas dinner will be this Saturday at my sister's place. Christmas Eve and day will be spent with friends since I can't drive to where my sister and her son will be celebrating - over 4 hours away. I have to work the day after Christmas so can't risk the weather being bad.
4)I will be buying myself some socks and some outside gear.
And I need a new battery in my workout watch.

Jennifer Newman said...

1)Hubby and I did the bulk of our Christmas shopping very early this year. I had daughter's stuff purchased and wrapped well before Thanksgiving. Yesterday I went out and purchased the stocking stuffers. The only thing I have left to do is assemble a calendar (of daughter for the grands) and send it to Staples to be printed.
2)I didn't ask for too much. Mainly stuff to keep me focused and some yoga stuff since I now love my yoga class it is time to have my own mat.
3)Christmas is at my house. I feed everyone who venture to my house but I figure my 9yo should not have to leave the house.
4)I don't run - not yet (maybe after I recover from my surgery I will be brave enough to try) but I did ask for new sneakers and socks!

FYI-don't go near a TArget. was there yesterday and it was MOBBED!! too many people.

joyRuN said...

Great great job on the long run! You're making me feel like a slacker.

1)NO.
2)Road ID, "Spirit of the Marathon" DVD, "Run Less Run Faster" book
3)Home

Oh She Glows said...

wow 51 miles in 2 weeks- good job! :)

My Christmas shopping is done (that I know of!) except for one card left I need to buy for my hubby.

We will be away for the holidays visiting my family out west! I leave Saturday and we return late X-mas night. Then off to his parents on Boxing Day.

Running stuff that I asked for is the following:
- blister proof running socks (Wrightsock)
- Nike sports bra
- Workout DVD's for X-training :)

I think that's it??

Angela
www.ohsheglows.com

Matt Keeling said...

Someone seems to be having way to much fun with the web cam lately. Although we should all be having as much fun.

Shopping done? Not so much really.
What do I want? More time with my son.
Home for a bit then off to the families, luckily everyone is in town so no 2+ hour drive for me
Running gift? Looking for a gift card towards my first real pair of running shoes. Oh and maybe a new watch.

Great work on the runs. I wish I could say the same. Maybe if we get above freezing and the snow melts..

Steven Cohen said...

1. Done, but no kids to speak of here.
2. "U.S. Constitution" and "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man."
3. Home: can't afford to fly again this year!
4. Headlamp for those (frequent) night runs!

Man, the malls around Boston are hopping, but I haven't noticed if people have a lot of bags or not.

Marcy said...

YAY Dave!! Congrats on being "on track"

I'm donezo with the holiday shopping. As for me? I don't want anything. Seriously. I just buy what I need/want whene ever I need it so Christmas is a free pass for Mr McG :P

Andrew is getting fit said...

1. I better get started!
2. Running tights. :)
3. Away.
4. Running tights.

Tanya said...

Shopping isn't done yet, and may not be done til Christmas Eve. We always stay home-make the family come to us is my motto! I didn't really have any cravings this year, gift wise, although Hubby did buy me something at the gun show. So long as it's 45 caliber I'll be happy. Give me a gift certificate for my local running store-it's easier that way!

Donnalouise said...

My shopping was done a few days ago and it felt great. I'll probably go out on Sunday to buy stocking stuffers. I'll be spending Xmas day here with Jason and Tommy, but on the 26th I'm making the 16 hour drive to New Brunswick to spend time with my family. I actually asked for stamps this year :) 100 wedding invitations to mail out in January!

Laurel said...

LOL, running sock ARE so expensive. I need some so badly. Mine are filled with holes.

I asked for an iPhone (my cell phone died and I have wanted one forever) so Santa came early for me. I felt bad asking for expensive running gear after that, even though I could use some winter gear. Coming from Miami, my only running gear was one long sleeved shirt that I wore once a year. Haha.

Great job the run!!!

M*J*C said...

Great job on the shopping and fitting your running in! Thanks for stopping by with the encouraging words...I appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

I rather give too. And, I agree watching the kids open their presents is the best. I am done shopping as of today. Well, I do need to get a few small things.

Nice job on the run.

X-Country2 said...

1.) Shopping done as of yesterday
2.) New cooking knife
3.) Half home and half away 2 hour to the in-laws
4.) Socks too! Those things ARE expensive.