Saturday, November 15, 2008

November Rain

My updates seem to be more periodic than usual.
Besides the stress relief in general, running helped to calm my angst today. Had a bit of a "tat" with someone this morning and I left for my run with frustration and dissatisfaction. If you were on the road this morning and seen a man barking at the air, that would've been me. I can picture someone driving down the road and saying, "Why is that guy talking to himself?" haha. The run didn't solve the problem, but it damn sure helped me calm down and relax and think things through. That's why it is so important to back off during a dissagreemeant and breathe - yelling never fixes anything . After 2 miles into my run, I was in the "chill zone" and felt better.
Now to the run: I left the house to a chilly 48 degrees with a non-stop 20 mph wind. I wore 2 coolmax shirts, jogging pants, and gloves and also brought my mp3 player for the first time in a few months. Plan was for 8 miles at a leisurely pace. The main goal today was to simply log miles! Around mile 5, the rain started and within a few minutes the big gusts and sideways heavy rain hit. It was difficult to keep my head up due to the stinging rain. Don't think that this was a bad run, because it wasn't. I felt refreshed after and the rain was suprisingly nice. Cold, stinging at times - but weirdly nice. Okay maybe it was that I just needed to RUN! Run Dave Run! :)
I knocked out 7.75 miles in 1:21:15. (10:29 pace)

15 Comments:

Anonymous said...

stinging rain?

RUN DAVE RUN...TO WHERE I LIVE :)

Kristy said...

You're starting to convince me that there's something to this running thing, Davio. 48 degrees, 20 mph wind, stinging rain, and it was a good thing. Glad it made you feel good.

Kelly said...

Man you are AWESOME!!! I used to run in the rain when I lived in Tucson, but it was warm then..now I live "up North" in Arizona and it is far too cold to run in the rain...but...I LOVE to run when it is snowing!!!

BeachRunner said...

Nice job fighting the wind and rain. Good run.

WWSuzi said...

I'm having a visual of you yelling while running!! O.k i've stopped laughing for a minute :)
I think i'm going to give running a try after my surgery in january, right now it aches two seconds after i start!!

COTY said...

Ahhh the stress relieving runs feel so good sometimes and then a little rain to cool your engine. :) Hope your day got better..

FLYERS26 said...

I've had those running conversations alone.. Isn't it just great!

Sounded like that Forest Gump Vietnam rain! I missed the rain here, today.

Running sure does help with stress. I hope you where able to sort things out, when you got home.

Steven Cohen said...

I can relate to the stress-relieving run, and you certainly know the physical effects of running on reducing inflammation. Run long!

joyRuN said...

Great job on your run! Glad you were able to pound & bark out the angst :)

Michelle said...

Great run Dave! I chickened out on running in the rain this morning and all day long i felt the urge to run!! Crazy right?

Tomorrow i am looking forward to my run although its going to be cold and windy!!! BRRR!! Wanna run with me??

Laurel said...

Sometimes a good run can fix anything. I know that regular running has helped my stress/blood pressure so much.

Way to go sticking it out in the wind and rain.

Cyndi said...

I've had my share of those running- out-the-door-in-frustration-runs myself. I am ALWAYS 'chilled out' when I return. Amazing isn't it?

Good job on the rain run. I had one of those myself yesterday! Do you wear a baseball hat when you run? I did yesterday and it really helps keep the rain off the face.

Donnalouise said...

I so wish I was a runner...I get so jealous of people I see running who actually look like they enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

There's something disconcerting about cold rain. Great you were able to not only overcome it, but actually enjoy your run.

I also find that there's nothing like running for clearing my mind when I'm upset about something - it's almost magical.

Anonymous said...

Exercise keeps you from punching someone :).

Oh, and as for your comment on Lowe's. I love Lowe's and Home Depot. Those are my favorite shopping places. The comment about no luck was referring to men at Lowes :P