Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Just my luck

I hope everyone has taken their American given right to vote today.
Don't be like the sad person on the internet that tried to sell his vote on EBay - dummy, class 4 felony(18yr old.) This is not a political blog, so I won't give you my "2 cents."
I sorta figured out what my stomach prob is. In medical terms it is called "Gut Rot!" LOL!!!
(That was funny if I do say so myself). I was not feeling sick one bit until after my Sat. run, then I ate some pizza and a little bit of pasta without drinking much of anything including no water during my run. I guess I wasn't paying attention. 2 hours after, I felt a pain and a lump in my abdomen, then nausea, then vomiting. Anyway, I got an X-ray of my abdomen yesterday and it seems that I have "Diverticulitis." I am on 2 antibiotics now, the nausea has subsided, and I am a bit better. Thanks for asking guysies. :)
Before I tell you about my run today, I must tell you about one of the antibiotics I am on - Cipro.
2 things about the drug.
  1. It can make you sensitive to sunlight. Avoid sun if possible.
  2. Cipro can cause tendon rupture. The FDA has issued a "blackbox warning" about tendinitis and tendon rupture. 1 in 20 - 30,000.
So, while on my run I couldn't help but to think that I may be harming my achilles tendon while running. Just my luck I'll be the "1" who ruptures their achilles while taking the meds. I'm not that paranoid, but it makes you think...Also, this is funny - I got a sunburn while running. My face feels tight and is "red." Again, only "I" can recieve a sunburn in Fall - just my luck... :) damn drugs!!
Okay the run, it went disastarious. I wanted to "catch up" on running, since I didn't run Sun or Mon. Since I signed up for a 15K on Sat.Nov 22nd, I decided to run the same distance of 9.3 miles. The run went well until the 5 mile mark, then gloom and despair. I lost all energy, HR climbed, I "bonked!" I managed to finish the run with multiple walking sessions of 30-45 seconds. I drank plenty - 20 oz before, 30 oz during, 10 oz after. I ate a small banana and 1 pack of instant oatmeal before. Just to much mileage to soon after being sick. Lesson learned. BTW, I did an out and back so I would be forced to finish the run. Smart huh?
9.3 miles in 1:42:48 for a blazing 11:03 avg. The first 5 miles was in 52 mins(10:24 pace), the last 4.3 in 51 mins( 11:50 pace). phew..... Well I did finish, and it was a long run for me and I'm still within my pace range for long runs, so not all lost.

17 Comments:

Tina Mickelson said...

Diverticulitis... ouch. Make sure to take ALL your antibiotics because that is not a good thing to have... as far as the sunburn and tendon issues go, thats me with the sunburn and probably with the tendon rupture if I took cipro. I'm such a sissy when it comes to side effects. for some reason I'm the exception to all of them. What the heck?

Ok so one bad run. I realized that it happens... and they suck. My hope is that by your race you will be feeling so much better and ready to tear that 15K apart.

Good job getting out there and voting!

Cyndi said...

Take it EASY Dave! (Cyn bopping you up side the head)
Sheesh...wasn't it just yesterday you were in bed and/or the bathroom?!!!? Do yourself a favor and take a day or two off, or you will end up sicker.

Who's the doctor here anyway????

BeachRunner said...

Dang. Take care of yourself. I hope you get well soon.

joyRuN said...

Doctors make the worse patients - but you already knew that :)

TAKE IT EASY. Nurse's orders ;)

WWSuzi said...

Hope your feeling better soon!!
And at least you finished your run, not that you had any other choice :) Yep i have to agree with cyndi maybe take a day off??

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about the diverticulitis.

I know you want to run and such - but make sure you get better and healthy first.

Doctors really are the worst patients :D

Steven Cohen said...

Um, what they all said, doc! how about a 2-miler if you must run. Recovery matters. :)

Kelly said...

Must agree with everyone else...REST!!! Would it have killed ya to take a couple of days off...seriously...I totally get the "I'm feeling better..let's run" Hope you feel back to normal soon. BTW..thinking I should get x-rayed. Thx for the suggestion :)

Anonymous said...

hit the weight room?

no?

ok.

that's all I got.

here's to your feeling better...

Donnalouise said...

Hey...so happy you voted! Don't push yourself too hard being on medication and running like that. Wouldn't want you to make it worse...hope it passes quickly. :)

Anonymous said...

Diverticulitis÷ Yuck.

The neonatal nurse says: You be careful, young man!

Tanya said...

Dude-take it easy,kay? cuz your body needs to heal, and you're on meds, and missing even a couple if runs isn't going to affect your overall fitness. You could miss up to a week and probably still be ok when you go back to running.
To answer your questions on my blog-racing season is over for me until February. I'm in base building mode and it's a program I designed just for me. I call it the "Get your lazy ass out the door and run" plan.

Marcy said...

Wow! Sounds brutal! You TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!, k? That's the Mom in me :P

Kristy said...

Ok, Macho Spinachman (I'm all about the super hero names this week) give it a rest already. Nothing to prove, tho I know the urge is to just get out there and do it in case you lose it. I think it's pretty certain now that you are on the right track and won't go back to your former Hamburgerman self.

I'm doing an unexpected antibiotic regimen myself..we can compare side effects if you like. Ever wake up tasting the suckers in the middle of the night?

Donnalouise said...

Hey Dave - Have you checked out this runner's blog? http://icanbearunner.blogspot.com/

Hope you pop by, sure the two of you would have a lot to share.

Michelle said...

Hey Dave, i concur with everybody here, take extra good care of yourself OK?

Then run dave run!!!

Its easy right??

Have a pleasant evening!!!

Laurel said...

Glad you are feeling better. And great job on getting out there to run even while you weren't feeling 100%.