Saturday, November 22, 2008

10 mile race report


But Dave, I thought you were running a 15K race(9.3 miles)? Yes so did I - sneaky shitz...10 miles?
I arrived on scene about an hour early to get a good parking space and to survey the route. When I walked down to the race site, the directors were packing up the race gear. Oh great!, I'm thinking they cancelled the race due to the cold. Come to find out that a water line busted and they are moving 3/4 mile up the road. The site was on a hill and the water ran down and iced the starting point and everything else for a 1/4 of a mile. That's what 18 degrees will do for you. It was miserably cold!! Heres a pic of a cool statue at the original starting point. Anyone recognize who he is?









I wore underarmour as a base layer and 2 coolmax shirts over the top, basic running pants, hats, gloves, and earmuffs. I froze my a** off! I had a very loose plan of keeping my 5k splits @ 32 ish. I set my watch with parameters to alarm if I ran too fast or too slow. Race started, and my damn watch wouldn't stop chirping for the first mile -too fast. I eventually slowed down to shut my watch up and managed to run the first 5K in 32:30. By this time, I was sweating and had to yank of my hat and ear muffs. Only I can sweat in 18 degree weather...
The course was beautiful, it was run on the greenways through Knoxville, TN. There is some 40 miles of greenways, who knew? My watch started beeping(too slow) quite often through the 2nd -5K portion. It was the hillier portion around the University of Tennessee campus and I just couldn't keep pace. I clocked 1:06 @ the 10K(33:30). Blah!! The positive was that noone passed me after the 4.5 mile mark -  meaning that the faster runners had blasted through.
My 10K time really dissapointed me. I picked up my pace and set my eyes on people that I was going to pass. I passed 36 people(yes I was counting!) after the 10K mark until the finish line. I clocked 1:35:30 at the 15K mark(29:30 15 k split!) Backing up - The 8 mile mark was gut check time. I was tired! I was nauseous! My body said slow down!!!!! So my last 15K split was 4 minutes faster than the previous!
After I passed the 9.3 mile mark(15K) and knowing how badly I knew I was going to vomit, I couldn't help but to be quietly cussing the race people for pushing the start line back another half mile! I managed to pass 2 people in the final 30 feet and jump into the chute before them, we were all sprinting. I kind of felt bad for getting by them because they didn't know I was that close. Ok not really- ahahaha!!!
Final time -  1:39:21   -   9.83 miles     -   (10:09 pace)  NEW PR!  (this era...)
Cold and windburn face after the race.
Sadly I have no more pics than this due to no one wanting to get out in the bitter cold and snap photos.
I'm glad that I was able to run this race and I hadn't planned on running a long race until next year, the race "popped up" at the last moment. Minus the 10K split, I ran according to my plan. Not too bad for not knowing the course. Heck if I ran my 10K split faster, I may not have had the ability to "kick" at the end. Races are fun and exciting and I'm a sucker for a free tshirt, but the cold and nausea can stay away! And yes I would do it all over again...
Peace.

23 Comments:

Girl In Motion said...

YAY DAVE!! Can't believe you raced in such cold weather and got a shiny new PR for it, too! Plus the fact that you left it all on the course...you get many extra fabulous runner points today.

Great race, too. Talk about a negative split Chunk! That's downright impressive.

Michelle said...

Dave my man, excellent race you ran today!! I am so proud of you dude!! Really i am! I was so excited reading your race report!! I love to read about PR's.

Please join the virtual run across america! It sounds like a fun thing to do!!

WOOHOO!!! You rock!!!

Lori said...

Great job!
Congrats on the PR!!

I only have a cold 5K to do on Thanksgiving.
Can't imagine 15K in the cold!

Laurel said...

Great job on the PR Dave! Way to pull through when it got tough.

You're making me nervous for the cold weather tomorrow morning.

WWSuzi said...

New PR downright amazing when you figure the temps and not knowing the course etc! Kudos :-)

Steven Cohen said...

Well, good job, buddy! You overcame the adversity of an unkown—and unplanned—start to have a great race! And what is up with the temps in TN? Jeez, we've been in the 20s during the mornings lately, but 18ยบ is nasty! Nice race!

Cyndi said...

Nice work Dave! Could it BE any colder to run? :-) Great splits, great race, way to pass all those people....

Great job, RockStar!

PS - You're lookin' good there fella! ;-)

Anonymous said...

GO YOU!!!!

a PR and it was frickinfrigid?

Impressive.

when you coming to austin to race?

BeachRunner said...

Congrats on the PR. Yay!

Anonymous said...

You are a rock star!!! CONGRATS ON THE PR. Racing is fun. :-)

I had no idea that TN got the cold, it was warmer in Michigan yesterday. I better be quiet because I am doing a Turkey Trot on TG and I make fun of you it will surely snow ;-)

You had a great time for your first race in a long time, do you love the free gear? Soooooo you think you'll be ready for Nashville in April? I am seriously pushing you and Cyndi to do that race. Come on what's another 3.1 miles?

Kelly said...

Great Job Dave!!! Running races when it is that cold...ewwww..But I live in Arizona where it is hardly ever that cold. You need to find yourself a different support group that will at least take your picture...bunch of wooosies for not being out there :)

Donnalouise said...

WOOHOOS all around for you Dave!!!

Happy Fun Pants said...

That is AWESOME!

Way to go, Dave!

Tanya said...

Woohoo Dave-Really a great race and you almost threw up-it just doesn't get any better than that!

joyRuN said...

CONGRATS, Dave!! Awesome PR in that dayum cold :)

I should learn to use that pace feature you described. It would've kept me on pace better than the freakin' pace group.

Kristy said...

Come on now, 18 degrees and you rocked it???!!!!

You're such an inspiration to me...no whining, just do it.

Any suggestions for footgear for the offroad 5k? straight running shoes or light hiking shoes?

SeaShore said...

Congrats on a successful 15k+some!

M*J*C said...

WOW!!! Great job, especially in the cold!!! That's AWESOME!!!

Denise said...

Great job and congrats on the PR!!!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo for the new PR!!!!!! You really rocked that race! In the freezing cold, doing those great splits, way to go. Great race report too.

Anonymous said...

Just for your information the Nashville race course is FLAT. Sign up sign up sign up :-)

How much fun would the 4 of us have there? My mom is A HOOT.

Oh and do the Turkey Trot we can compare notes.

Unknown said...

18 degrees ???? That is even colder down in South compared to Philadelphia yesterday. I am amazed that you were able to take a picture of yourself with your frozen finger. Amazing feat, dude !!!

CONGRATULATIONS for getting the job done and CONGRATS on your new PR. Way to go, dude !!!

Anonymous said...

I don't like driving in that cold weather much less running. Kudos to you!

Happy Thanksgiving to you!