Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving and Turkey Trot Report

I hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving, I know that I did!
This year has been one of the most difficult years of my life and I can sit here and lament on the rough year I have had, but I won't. I am alive, am healthy, have a home, have a good job, have good friends, have a wonderful family, and a good future ahead. So many people don't. I am thankful for all of these things and more. That's what Thanksgiving means to me.
On to running:
Still a little sore form my 10 mile race on Saturday. I've had mixed feelings about running the 8K Turkey Trot Race I signed up for 2 weeks ago. Just didn't want to run 2 races in less than 6 days. After debating last night, I decide to run it and run it as an easy pace. I figured I needed to simply because I was going to pig-out on some good food later in the day.
About 500 people showed up to a sunny 30 degree morning. I started at the back of the pack to keep it slow and steady. After the gun went off, it took about 15 seconds to get to the starter mat and another 45 seconds to open up a stride. I passed the 1 mile mark @ 10:41-what?, then the 2 mile mark @ 20:40. Yes, slow and steady and feeling good. Then I realized how good I felt and decided to run this as a race from here on out. mile 3 - 29:57, mile 4 - 39: 17, Finish 5miles in 47:45. This was so much fun! Even though I have run faster 5 miler's than this during basic runs, chasing and passing people for the remaining 3 miles was a blast!! mile 1-10:41, mile 2-9:59, mile 3-9:38, mile 4-8:59, mile 5-8:28.

Didn't you just wear that in last week's race?
Suck it in Dave, your on camera
The race was a good start to my day,then I went over to my brothers house and celebrated Turkey Day with all of my family. I gobbled up great food and desserts, then went outside afterwards and played tackle football with the guys. A great ending to a great day!
Good luck to you Black Friday people, you'll need it! haha

20 Comments:

Happy Fun Pants said...

Looks like fun - and great job running! :)

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Michelle said...

WOOHOO Dave!!! I ran a 5 mile turkey trot today also. 48.14. YOU BEAT ME!!! Excellent dude!!

I had a blast and will blog about it tomorrow so check back!!!

Have a great night!!!

Dustie said...

Great Job! Most importantly...you decided to have fun with it! Isn't that the best feeling.....starting a race (or any run) not completely into it and then something changes and it becomes something awesome? To me, that is so the best! I'm so glad you had such a fun time with it!! My Turkey Trot run is this Saturday!

Lori said...

Great job! I love how you talk about a slow pace, and that's much faster than my race pace!

Progman2000 said...

There's nothing better than looking at your watch after a race and seeing you ran straight negative splits - nice job.

joyRuN said...

Nice way to kick it in the last miles!!

Steven Cohen said...

Good race, buddy! I opted out of a 5K turkey trot, choosing instead to run an easy 5-miler on my own, but I get the fun of a race with lots of like-minded people!

Anonymous said...

What a fun race - and awesome splits! Wish I could say my legs were healthy enough to run my turkey day race, but I did the next best thing....beer and college football. Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Fun Pants said...

Awwwww...thanks, Dave. ;)

Happy Fun Pants said...

Almost forgot - Internal Medicine.

Since I've known you for all of five seconds, I'll just assume you do stuff with penises for some sort of medical reason.

Maybe urology? Otherwise I just don't get why you say "penis" often.

Wait...do you work with transgender people? Are you a sex therapist? Oooh! Are you a penis-ologist?

And now the "penis" count for this comment is 4.

Hey, at least I'm memorable.

Anonymous said...

no trotting here.

at all.

unless you count me fleeing my parents incessant questions about my lack of real career.

Denise said...

Good job! I wish I was able to run a turkey trot but I think I need a few more days of taking it easy after the marathon.

Marcy said...

Great job!! Nothing wrong with chillaxing on a race every now and then ;-) (although in your case you kicked butt at the end LOL)

Anonymous said...

I was here happily thinking I too can do 8:28, but then I realized that's in miles, and wow, you're fast! Pretty impressive - and sounds like you had a great time too.

Donnalouise said...

WOOHOO on the run! Good time - I probably couldn't run 2 miles in that time. :)

Marci said...

Great job on your 8K. I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving!

Laurel said...

YAY! Sounds like a fun race. You did great! Way to pick off people in the end.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tanya said...

Good job on the race-yeah, picking off people one by one is the best! Glad you had a nice holiday.

BeachRunner said...

Great job. happy belated thanksgiving.

Cyndi said...

Awesome Dave! It's great to reflect over the year and see that the positives far outweigh the negatives!

Nice race, good splits!