Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Work week is over half way through. Yah!


I'm running in the CrossKnox 15K this Saturday and my nerves are showing already. I've only run this distance a few times and it's taken all the strength that I've had to finish. I don't anticipate running this at a fast pace. My conditioning is getting better, but it seems when I run anything over 6 miles my pace declines rapidly. Also, pacing may cause me trouble. I'm not sure how fast to start out at, but I do have a rough estimate. I just don't want to "poop out" midway through. All of this uncertainty is driving me crazy. The temp is supposed to be around 28 at the start. I hate the feeling of that cold burn on your lungs. I've not been able to find much info on elevation, but I've been told that the majority is hilly.
Come on, you darn race, so I will stop thinking about ya! I'll try to post something Sat. afternoon after the race.
The big Philly race is also this weekend, so I can't complain about my 9.3 miles. 26.2 is a much stronger adversary. I know have said this before, but I have high esteem for anyone that has run or is training for the "big one." Good luck to those racers!! Joy, Laurel and Jeremy, Progman, flyers26, Ted, Denise. Looking forward to how it went. 

18 Comments:

Lori said...

Go slow. Add a couple minutes per mile to your short race time, then you can kick it for the last 5K.

Have fun!

Michelle said...

Good luck Dave!! You will rock the race, i just know it!!! I'm doing a 5K on Sunday!!! That should be easy peasy!!!

Just have fun!!!

Laurel said...

Awww, thanks Dave! Good luck to you as well! You're going to do great! I can't wait to read the report.

Progman2000 said...

Good luck Saturday - I will be looking for a race report via blackberry from a hotel in center city Philadelphia Saturday night!

BeachRunner said...

Have fun!

Dustie said...

You will do fantastic! Good Luck! I'll be doing a 5k on Saturday too! Must be a good race weekend!

joyRuN said...

Good luck, Dave!!

And thanks :)

Anonymous said...

You can do it! Didn't you run that far on accident once??

Kristy said...

15K is nothing to pooh pooh at, Dave. Well, I hope you don't pooh pooh. I'm sure you'll do great and will have a fun time doing it. Can't wait to hear about it.

Marcy said...

You're going to kick butt!! GOOD LUCK DAVE!! ;D ;D ;D

Anonymous said...

Hey Bro. I cannot wait to read you race report!! I am so excited for you. Don't stress out too much as you're an athlete and you'll be great.

Just take it super easy at first so that you're not totally burned out. Run the first few miles at a normal pace that way you'll have energy to push through for a strong finish.

((((DAVE)))) for you race :-)

Anonymous said...

man, the race of LIFE is kicking my arse this week.

all the cardiorunningstuff I shall do vicariously.

through you.

so get to it.

Unknown said...

It sounds like you will have fun. Way deep in me, I know you can do it and you will ROCK !!! I am looking forward to reading your post-race report.

and thanks !!!

Anonymous said...

So exciting! That's a really challenging race distance! I know what you mean about the cold weather too, but hopefully it'll feel refreshing. Can't wait to read about your experience.

Donnalouise said...

Have a great race Dave! Just take it at a good pace and you won't poop out :)

Steven Cohen said...

I had the pooping out problem in my 10M race, too, but I went out too fast. Take it easy, like on a long, slow run, and you'll do great!

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!

Cyndi said...

My turn to be 'MIA' for a couple of days but I'm so glad I got to see this post before tomorrow!

You're gonna be great, don't stress about it. (yeah right ha ha)
So Dave...he-who-runs-with-elks.....go rock that 15K!

Woot! :-)