Now when you see this post, you are going to think there is something wrong but there isn't. I went for a late run again, this time just 3 miles. As I was walking out the door, I yelled, "Anyone want to run with me!?" waiting for the normal chuckles. Reply - "Yeah Dad, hold up.." *What? Did I hear that correctly? Someone said yes?? maybe I yelled too loud and the neighbor responded* "Give me a sec Dad, alright?" Holy crap my son wants to run, with me.... :)
Background: 3 boys ages 9,13,14. The 13 and 14 yr old's stand over 6 feet tall - Now you know why I have to work all the time; to pay for the large grocery bill!


That's Ty with the slingshot pointed at my face,
can't you feel the love?
We took off running @ a 10min pace, then to a 9min pace and never let up. The last mile he said wanted to speed up a bit more. Throughout the run I kept thinking he was going to slow down, but he never did. We finished the last mile in around 8 mins. Frankly I was "working" just to keep up with him. Final time 27:25 (9:08 pace).
I have been running for almost a year now and it has taken me that much time to build up to a 9min pace. My son comes along completely "out of shape" and runs it on his first day! My pride and ego have just been flushed downed the toilet.. haha BUT; for my son, I am proud! Just gotta love it. I was young once. HEY, I still am! LOL!
Those young whipper-snappers.. *In my old man voice* :)
10 Comments:
That is so awesome! Congrats to both you and your son!
LOL! I love the slingshot pic! Don't you just love teenagers?
Seriously, your sons are adorable (in a tough, teenage boy-way of course!)
Don't feel too bad about him being so fast. He has youth on his side. I wish I would have taken advantage of it when I was his age.
It's so great you got to run with him though! I hope you guys keep it up!
It's nice that you can do these things together, even if it's a little painful to the ego.
Over 6ft at that age? you're raising giants!
I hope someday my son will want to workout with me. He's only 10 right now, but I'm trying hard to set the example. He will get on the treadmill at the gym, but he sorta plays.
Read your note below about running loose dogs. I walk my dogs on leashes at 5:30 a.m. You wouldn't believe the number of idiots who turn their dogs loose in the dark to do their business outside. I've had to totally revamp my walking routes because other people are foolish. If ever attacked - call the cops! I'm serious. People need a wakeup call.
Thanks for dropping by my blog!
linda
Well there's your pacer right there! Perfect :)
Geez - if two are over 6 feet already, how HUGE are they gonna end up? What are you feeding them??
Awesome motivation!! You guys could enter races together :)
Your boys are very handsome ;-)
I'm trying ever-so-gently to get my 13 year old to run with me and she refuses. She 'hates' running...*sigh* I keep telling her how she'll be in great shape for softball in the spring, and she'll kill the running test in gym class....she still refuses! She's being stubborn now though...just making a point and refusing to let me be 'right' ha ha. Typical teen!
So good for you getting your boyz out the door!
Nice improvement dude!! You are getting there nice and easy. I know.. I wish I have the youth back. I was looking back at my cross country days back in high school. I think my pace back then was like 6:40 to 7:00 pace. I need to find the Fountain of Youth somewhere.
Hi! Thanks for popping by my blog. I'm going to add you to my blogroll :)
Oh, to be young again!!! Your boys look adorable.
good stuff, to run with your son.
Hopefully I will be as lucky, when my boys get older!
Post a Comment