As the title says, I ran my first 13.1 miles in 15 years!! I got a late invite by my buddy to go camping in the Smokey Mountains. Arrived on Friday and ran 2.5miles before I went to bed. Most of the camping crew wouldn't be in until noon time Saturday, so I thought I would go for another run before everyone arrived.
While I was stretching, the entire University of Tennessee track team unloaded from 2 buses into the parking lot. They were there to run and train on the hilly 11 mile loop of Cades Cove. I had no intenions of running more than 5 miles Saturday morning, but their presence inspired me to try to run the shorter 8 mile loop. The ranger told me that one of the cutoff points was closed and that you had to run/walk/bike either 8 miles or 11. Before I took off to run Cades Cove, I warmed up 2 miles around the campground and then shot over to the loop. After a bit, I passed the closed cutoff point and continued running. I reached the other cutoff and noticed 2 roads. I asked the ranger which road was the 8 miler and he said, "Son, the 8mile loop was back 2 miles ago. You are on the 11 miler." *Gasp*, What?? I looked at my watch and I had already run 7.5 miles! Stupid me - I forgot that I had already run 2 miles warmup to the loop, AND I missed the cutoff. I was enjoying the scenery so much that I didn't notice that I had passed 2 turnpoints instead of one.
Predicament: Largest run this year was a 10 miler back in March, Longest run of 8 miles was 2 months ago, I still had 5.5 miles left to go with only 16 oz of water left.
A little fear set in, but then I thought that I could always start walking if I got tired and hitch I ride by a tourist if I really had to.
I finished talking with the ranger and off I was again. I only had to walk for 2 big hills for a total of a minute. You know what really got me through the run? No less than 40 people that passed me in their cars, gave me shouts of encouragement as I ran. As I approached the last hill that finished off the loop, I looked at my watch and I was at 12.95 miles. No way was I going to stop at anything less than 13.1 miles!!!!! A half marathon distance.
I ran back to the campground and the rest of my buddies were there. When I got within 100 feet, they began clapping and shouting. How cool is that?? I hit my watch and my final time was 2hrs 20mins 20 seconds.
I did it!!
This was the longest that I've run in total time EVER! Earlier this year , I remember thinking that if I was to run a half marthon race that I wanted to do it in less than 2-1/2 hours. I am excited that I avg'd less than an 11min mile(10:51 to be exact.)
Later in the evening, I started cramping so my buddy and I ran another 2 miles. It felt good. I also stretched for another 20 minutes. 15+ miles for the day.. It was a good day...
3 years ago
8 Comments:
Geez.... you are a machine!!
Yes, way to go, buddy! All that, and you still did more later? Rock on!
*bowing down* "We're Not Worthy" ;-) THIS is a great story!
Sounds like a very Excellent Adventure! Way to go!
Wow - I am SO impressed!
Not only tackling the distance...but with hills? That's amazing.
How very fun to run a half marathon by accident! :) Great job!
Way to go! I have gotten a few of the word of encouragement from strangers in my runs around the neighborhood. It is do inspiring! Just amazing!
Wow, I am impressed and inspired by your story! I can't even imagine running for that long and not realizing it at first!
Now you have every reason to sign up for half marathon !!! You can do it. Way to go dude !!! Now tell me, how exhilarating was this? I bet it was freaking awesome. Congrats on doing it !!!
Post a Comment