.
Happy 4th!
2 days late on posting. I had a great time camping in the Great Smoky Mountains. The boys and I went camping in the true wilderness - no electricity, showers; just tents and a slingshot. LOL! Monday we setup the tent, ate ,then went on our first hike to Laurel Falls.
Tuesday, I got up early and went for a 5 mile run. I must admit , it was alittle scary @ times due to my seclusion in the woods. I was always checking my up/down/front/back for any wildlife. My paranoia was well warranted after a copperhead snake crossed my path, and a wild turkey flew over my head. I don't know which was scared more- me or the turkey. I nearly sh*t myself after the turkey came within inches of my head (jumping out of the woods), in fact the turkey almost crapped on my head. Luckily it missed. Also the bear(tell later.) Back to the run - the last 2.5 miles was + 400 feet of elevation. Tough run, but enjoyable.
Got back from the run, ate some grub, then went on a 5 mile hike to Abram's Falls.
I must admit that after my busy day, I was "bushed!" The elevation change made a huge difference in my stamina. 5 mile running, 15 miles of hiking on my short getaway.
I have been blessed to live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. Less than an hour, I am @ the Smokey's.
Oh yeah, the bear. We had just left Cade's Cove - ( an 11 mile loop that is filled with wildlife.) A black bear was waddling up the road, heading for the Little Pigeon River, to eat I guess.. Yes, the same road that I did my 5 mile run on in the morning . GASP!!!!!
Sidebar: The Cade's Cove 11mile loop is a runners paradise. The rangers don't open it to cars until 10am, so that runners and cyclists can enjoy it without getting run over
3 years ago
2 Comments:
Hey your camping trip sounds great! I'm going camping/hiking in 2 weeks to Oregon! Only camped once before in my life so i am really looking forward to it!!! Any pointers???
Michelle
Hey Michelle,
Oregon - how cool is that?
Sleep can be difficult sometimes due to temp/ humidity/ dampness/ hard, uncomfortable ground so take a light sleep aid (Tylenol PM works for me.)It gets rid of the soreness of the day and helps you get to sleep faster and keeps you asleep..
Have fun - nothing better than hangin with your friends!!
Post a Comment