I only had the chance to run twice last week because of work. UGHHHH. less than 7 miles. UGHHHHH
I was afraid when I got out to run today that it would be "rough." Luckily it wasn't. I did something original and not so smart today. I ran a new route that was very hilly( 1250 - 1510 feet of elevation); a route that I often drove that looked challenging, but rewarding. I live in Tennessee where hills and mountains - yes mountains - are part of the landscape. For the most part, there are no flat level areas that I can run. This route was an "out and back." I made sure to run over 5 miles out so that I would be forced to have to run back - no wimping out and leaving it short. Not a problem, right? hehehe Stupid me, forgot to take water and my "shotbloks or gu."
(I often stash water on my routes so that I don't have to carry it. Am I the only one that does that?) Started to run @ a slow pace keeping my HR in the 75% range, building up to the 85% as I hit the hills. Good run. Got a little tired around mile 6( around an hour) , but still chugging along. By mile 8, the legs were heavy and my HR was showing it. I needed water! I hit the "wall" at 9.5 miles. Wave of nausea set in and I slowed to a " crawl" at the 12min/mile pace. Finished @ 10 miles with a time of 1hr 47 mins. Approx 10.5min/mile avg.
I just didn't prepare well for this run, but it was still a good one. It is the longest I have run since my initial knee injury. I will try to throw in a long run every 2 weeks or so as time allows and concentrate more on the shorter runs of 2-5 miles. I have to work the next few days and probably will not run again until Saturday.
One of the coolest things about being a runner is the opportunity to run and explore new routes, and enjoy the wonderful beauty that god has given us. Being on foot allows us to see things better and have the time to really look at things close up and enjoy them as opposed to "zooming by" in a car . Through a runners eyes we are always looking at the lay of the land to see if it would be a good route, wheter in the city or the country.
3 years ago
0 Comments:
Post a Comment