Saturday, February 16, 2008

First 10K Race



I was able to check off another running mark off my "to do list." I ran my first 10K today @ the Strawberry Plains 10K/Half Marathon race. This was my most enjoyable race to date. Along with the friends that participated, I met a few more along the way. As far as I am concerned running is fun by itself, it is even more fun running with friends and colleagues.
I want to congratulate Kate for finishing first in her age group, she finished in the 54min range ; which is freaking awesome in my book. The were handing out awards after the race, and she didn't get into the gym until after her name was already called. One of her friends looked at the race board and noticed that she finished first. After she found out, she was pumped!! We " high 5'd" many times .LOL! GJ Kate..
Good event, good turnout. The 10K//1/2 marathoners all started out at the same time. The usual jumbled mass of people at the starting line ensued and "creeping" up to the first quarter mile. Out and back course. My plan: was to start @ 10min/mile and do neg splits the rest of the way. Yes, that WAS the plan. Try to finish around 60mins. Realistic goal: 1hr 2mins = 10min/mile. 1) 9:57 2) 19:48 3) 29:45 Felt great @ 5k mark. Wasn't pushing it at all(smiling and talking to others), but the first half was flat to downhill. Turnaround and back. " I know you can read between the lines" on this one. You never pay attention to how much the downhills are until you have to run back up them. 2 flat areas about 1/2 mile total, the rest was uphill! The smiles and talking disappeared, and the heavy breathing and grunting ensued.
4) 40:15 5) 50:20 Final) 1hr 2mins 35secs. One thing I can honestly say is that I gave everything I had !
Was it slower than expected? Yes. Am I dissapointed? A little.. Did I have fun? ABSOFREAKINLUTILY!!!!!
You like that word, huh? hehehe

0 Comments: