Sunday, March 22, 2009

Back in action

Thanks Guys for being patient with me. Not a whole lot to blog about other than work and you don't want to hear about that, I assure you! With the sun showing it's face, it's even been hard to sit down in front of the computer to blog. Thank -You Spring!!
Let's start @ the new kicks - okay maybe the old style new kicks would be better to say.. I never like buying the same pair of shoes, but I'm too chicken to experiment with new shoes. It's always been about the look of the shoe, but since I took up running a year and a half ago it's all about the feel. I tried on a half dozen pairs of shoes - Mizuno, Brooks, Saucony, Nike, and (my fav)
Asics. I keep going back to the Asics. I didn't get the chance to try out the Asics Kayano 15's because they didn't have my size, so when Bill bought a new pair of Kayano's I wanted to get his input. He pretty much sold me on them, but I still wimped out and went with another pair of Asics Gel Nimbus 10. No change - same color. I'm a big risk taker, aren't I?
I finally did it! I bought a new Garmin 405. It was the continuous thrashing by you "garmey junkies." (You know who you are) My Polar watch stopped uploading my runs online. I'm rather tech-savvy and neither tech support or I could get it working plus my dog chewed the bottom half of the band off, so I think it was a good time to retire my trusted Polar. I've been using the 405 for about 2 weeks and am liking it. I just need to get more familiar with it and figure out all the buttons. The 405 came with a HR band and I've used that once with success. The Garmin's software is light years ahead of Polar's with multiple web site uploading to display better stats. If Garmin's GPS is accurate I'm one slow SOB! haha Ever since I've used it my avg pace is slower. Of course we talked about how "off" the Nike + system is, but my Polar has been calibrated so that it is spot on. I look at my pace and it feels like I'm running faster than what the Garmey is showing. I need to run with both watches and check accuracy. Does the Garmin have to be calibrated in any way? I wouldn't think so since it has GPS. Or am I really that slow!!! hahaha

Last Sunday, I decided to run a full 13.1 miles at a leisurely pace to see how running a half marathon felt. It was one tough bugger! I finished in 2:28:50.(11:30/mile) This was at an easy pace and I didn't feel tired persay, but my legs felt heavy. This run was my first time using the Garmin and was the slowest and longest of my Long runs days. I was hoping that since this was my 7th long run of over 10+ miles that it was going to feel easier especially since this was at an easy pace. No way Jose! My conditioning is not where I want it to be yet or maybe I had a bad day of running - not sure. The good thing is that next week's Knoxville Half is a training run with my buddy @ a 2:45 pace.
Last week run: 3 runs with a long of 13.1 miles (22.5 total)
This past week: 3 runs with long of 6.5 miles due to taper(15 miles total)

Happy Spring to everyone! I'm catching up right now on zee-old blogs.
Have a great week!

20 Comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

congrats on being a garmey junkie and on hitting the mileage for a HM!! :) no calibration needed as far as I know! Good luck next weekend :)

Michelle said...

Hey Dave,
YAY for garmin. I have a garmin 405 named Seth and he is a beauty. I am running just a little bit. SLOWLY and just a few miles. I can't help it. I have been idle long enough. I have a xray coming up on wednesday so hopefully i will have some good news.

As far as I know the garmin is super accurate and doesn't need calibration. Your doing great bro. Have a blast next week in the half. Go with the flow!!!

Slackey said...

Wow to 13.1 miles, and I'm with you on spending as much time outside as possible. :)

X-Country2 said...

If someone were to give me a garmin, I'd totally wear one. Posts like this make me reaaaally want one.

Kelly said...

You will do awesome on your half marathon next week if only cuz you'll be running with a friend...it makes it all good :)

Keep us posted on the Garmin...I am looking into getting one but don't know which one to get for running and riding.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 13.1 miles and the Garmin. I've kicked the idea around. Like to hear your thoughts. They seem to be an engineer's dream, but what about the rest of us?

Andrew is getting fit said...

Welcome to the Garmin side of life!

Ron said...

Congrats on the Garmin, I love all tech gadgets! I too am finding it hard to find the time to read my blogging friends blogs due to the nicer weather!

Denise said...

GREAT job on the half marathon distance!!

I've heard mixed things about the 405, I'm curious to see how you like it. I still have the 305 and want to keep it till I'm sure they ironed out the issues with the new one.

Ashley said...

I REALLY want a Garmin now. I ran with a friend that had one on Friday and was introduced to it's awesomeness. The gadgets out there these days are amazing!

Cyndi said...

New shoes, new gadgets, more races, longer runs...You are IN the groove my friend. Love that! Keep me posted on the Garmin 405 - because I still haven't decided if I am going to stick with Garmin or move on after all the pain I've had with mine. (cheezy model that I have ha ha)

Marci said...

Congratulations on the new Garmin, and good job on the training half. That a good time for a leisurely pace!
Also I just wanted to thank you for signing up for Reese's run, and for your generous donation. I really appreciate your support!

Marcy said...

Ohhhh yeah! Gotta love the Garmin! No calibration needed, my friend!

Steven Cohen said...

You bought one! These have no calibration, but you may want to figure out your own MHR, because it takes the standard formula, which didn't work for me.

Nice running, buddy!

joyRuN said...

Yeay with the Garmin!!!

I remember how shocked I was when I first ran with it - my Nike+ was telling my that I was averaging in the 9:XX for my pace, but the Garmin told me the truth - 10:XX. Truth hurt :(

The Boring Runner said...

Try testing the garmin out using a defined distance... say someplace that you know is two miles. You will have the stopwatch feature and will know the distance, so the only variable will be the distance that the garmin tells you....

Wait, did I just out myself as a garmey junky?

Laurel said...

Dont fret the run, we all have those hard ones every now and then.

Congrats on the Garmin! I was eyeing them at the expo last weekend. I just couldn't justify spending the money yet though. Sigh.

Chellie has Issues said...

Congrats and joining us Garmey Junkies. You may not be slower, just more accuarate than your other tools were maybe? Btw, any specific questions you have about TT, email me anytime! mishs@hotmail.com

Lily on the Road said...

I'm just catching up with you! Wow, you done so much and Wow a new Garmin too!

Good Luck with your race, you are going to FLY!!!

FLYERS26 said...

My Garmin 405 was picking up other runners HR monitors at the start. I never saw that before.
I can't imagine how I ever got along without it.
Nice run, and good luck next weekend!