Monday, October 20, 2008

Dissapointment and Disgust

****WARNING****
*This is a b*tch session*
*Please cover your childrens eyes*
This is more for my motivation that anything, so ignore this post. If you can't then ,Reader Beware! This is not my normal demeanor, but I must open a can of "whoop a**" on myself..

Now that my weekend runners high has wore off and Monday is here. I have this overwhelming feeling of disgust and dissapointment in my weight.
I wonder how much I have really "learned" about my big weightloss when I find myself going back to the "old crappy eating routine." When I weighed myself today, I had a 1 lb weight loss from last week. Great right? Look deeper.. In the last 3 months, I have been averaging nearly 20miles a week of running. There is no excuse as to the reason why I should not be losing more weight! I have been at a 6 month plateau.. LOL, there is no such thing!! maybe 2 weeks, not 6 months! Stop eating garbage Dave!
I love running, it is my drug.. BUT, I have taken away too much attention from my intial plan which was weightloss. I've given myself the excuse that since I run I can eat whatever the hell I want to. (Can you tell that I am angry!!!?)
Do you know what my BMI is? 34! I am just a hair under the "excessively obese", and am currently in the "obese" category. If I lose 35 lbs I get upgraded to the humbling "overweight" division.
With my intial weightloss there was satisfaction, mucho compliments on my appearance, new clothes, new outlook. Now it just reality.. Long way to go.
This weightloss thing is such a daunting task. It takes my full attention, attention to detail. Yes pain, yes suffering, yes agony. Anyone tried to lose weight and not felt hunger pangs?
Am I setting myself up for failure again, dont know? But I will keep trying...

I feel motivated today to eat good. Today I will be a rock!

13 Comments:

Kelly said...

Oh Dave oh Dave! I could have written this post...in fact I pretty much did yesterday. I am in it to win it...how about you?

Kristy said...

Dave, I really haven't felt hunger pangs. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new, but filling up on raw veggies, salads, and fruits, and replacing all fattening condiments, and cheese, oh how I love cheese, with low or no fat versions, has worked for me. And tracking. Maybe if you tracked your food for just a little bit you'd see what you could tweak to get the scale going in the right direction and speed again? Behind ya all the way, buddy.

Matt Keeling said...

I am there with you bro! I trained for the 5k and totally focused on that and thought just as you did that I could eat almost anything. Well I maintained weight but did not lose much. I am trying to refocus my efforts to lose weight. Lets finish this up together!

Donnalouise said...

Dave, I myself get so mad at how a sabotage my hard efforts by eating crap - tomorrow's weigh in will be proof. Read what you wrote in your previous entry about the great run but eating the fatty juicy hot dog without guilt. Guess you're feeling the guilt after all. And so shall I when I stand on the scale tomorrow...we all do it. The key is to stop - just don't know yet where I left my key.

SeaShore said...

When I first started WW I was hungry a lot, even though I had more points than I do now. Like Kristy, I figured out that I had to bulk up my food with loads of those low calorie veggies. It feeds the physical hunger and the emotional hunger. Whether it keeps working for me remains to be seen.

Good luck.

BeachRunner said...

Hang in there, stay disciplined and focused on the long term, and keep on working. You are doing great and I have no doubt you will get over this bump in the road and continue your progress once again.

Lori said...

I get that mentality too, that I can eat more because I run. Doesn't work that way.

Being successful at weight loss requires a lot of planning. Think of it as training, because that is really what you are doing - training your body to get to goal.

You'll get it, every day you wake up is another chance to be on track.

Cyndi said...

I posted a long rambling pep talk before I left work today, but it didn't make it here, not sure what happened...ANYWAY....

'He-Who-Runs-With-Elks' (and dogs ha ha) should never use the words 'disgust or disappointment' in his vocabulary! EVAH...you log 20 miles a week - could you even imagine that a year ago? Don't lose sight of all the great accomplishments you've had thus far. There WILL be more...the beauty of this journey is that YOU are in control. You'll get there, there's no doubt about it!

The BMI thing? I think it is the lamest measure of body composition I've ever known. It is very unforgiving and unknowing of how much muscle you have. My BMI will be 'normal' when I lose one more pound, however, I still have 8 to lose to get to the high end of 'acceptable weight' on a weight chart.

It's all relative....don't beat yourself up too much. Make a plan that works for your lifestyle, and you will make it work!

You are 'SuperDave' after all! ;-)

joyRuN said...

BMI by itself isn't a good indicator of anything, unless you take body fat %age into account.

Plus, I'd also take into account the fact that for the WWFR (sorry to throw your blog backatcha): 'My goal was to beat my previous 10K and the "1 hour" barrier. I ran my first 10K back in February in 1:02:35 in a hobbling mess...The run and race went great, with me finishing in 59:42 (9:36 pace). A new PR!!! Never felt that I was killing myself throughout the entire run...maybe, just maybe I am getting "into shape." '.

Hang in there - I think you're doing better than you think :)

Steven Cohen said...

Dude, you're awesome, or even SUPER! I've been eating like crap too, in fact I did it today with fritos, a hershey's dark candy bar and mountain dew. Didn't need any of it, and I really feel it, but I had a mid-term exam and wanted the comfort. you might try listening to Dr. Monte on fitnessrocks.org. He has great eating advice. I also do well with a handful of almonds as a protein snack when I'm getting hungry mid-morning. Keep it up, buddy!

Anonymous said...

Hey there...you have come so far and you need to focus on that. We all hit plateaus so maybe you need to change it up a bit. That seems to do the trick for me. Tracking what I eat really does the trick me as it allows me to go back and see what is working and what is not.

Chin up man...you'll get there and you're doing GREAT!!

Unknown said...

Listen dude.. I hear you. I do hear you. Even though, I am DEAF !!! (no pun intended). "Hard habit to break", huh? I know its so easy to dig into those crappy food. I was just thinking the other day. Wow, it takes me one friggin hour to burn 700 calories whereas it takes 5 minutes to consume 700 calories of Big Mac plus French Fries. How cruel ??? I wish it would take 5 minutes to burn 700 calories. Lo and behold, we all have to discipline ourselves for the way we eat. It takes time to learn to eat that is very important. It's all trial and error. You have to do a lot of soul searching to find the healthiest and tastiest food that will benefit your running and how you can maintain your weight. You have to do your homework like we all do. The bottom line is that it will always be challenging. Don't give up, dude !

Happy Fun Pants said...

Here's my theory (albeit late). You're just ahead of the curve. See...you're doing AWESOME at maintaining.

You just need to go back to the weight loss part of it. Because then you will be able to eat the hot dog without guilt.

It sounds from your recent post that you're doing great by getting back on track - and that is wonderful.

I just wanted to give you some love so you knew that what you're doing isn't bad - it's maintaining. Maybe a bit pre-mature, but definitely not bad. :)